Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

How are you honoring a parent who's past?

Is anybody honoring a parent who has past recently or not? If so, how?

Re: How are you honoring a parent who's past?

• Options
    My dad passed away when I was 4 but he will be remembered throughout the day. There will be a line in the program that is in his honor, I will have a single yellow rose in my bouquet in honor of him, there will also be a candle on the alter that will be lit throughout the ceremony in his honor (My mom and my FH's mom will actually take from this candle to light their candles that me and my FH will use to light our unity candle....kind of confusing but hope it makes sense lol!). There are many little things that you can do to honor your parent that is passed, just be creative! 
  • Options
    I like the single rose idea, we did the lit candle at the alter with poem names/dates and photo of my husbands parents on it. It was nice as we could glance over at it while it was happening, meant alot to our guests (on his side too). The officient and MC both mentioned his parents too.
  • Options

My mother passed away about 5 years ago. We are having our harpist play "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as the parents are seated....because she sang it to me nearly every night before I went to sleep. 

My aunts(her sisters) will be walking together down the aisle in her place, carrying yellow roses, because those are the kind I always gave her.

We will have a remembrance section on the programs, with a special message about each person there, nothing sad...for example, we are getting married on my grandma's birthday...beside her name we wrote Happy Birthday Grandma. 

Also, regarding my grandfather...it's not a parent exactly, but we're setting our a crystal bowl filled with lemon drops...because he always had them for us.

Just little touches to make us feel like they are with us throughout the day, and hopefully won't be too sad.
  • Options
    My mother and maternal grandmother have both passed away in the past 11 years, so I want to honor them but also not do too much to make myself overly emotional. I LOVE the one yellow rose in the bouquet idea! Yellow roses were my mom's favorite so it was kind of neat to see so many using them to honor a loved one.
    I am also going to enlarge a photo of the two of them to an 8x10 but I am not sure where to display it at the wedding. I might put it on the alter somewhere but I need a special place at the reception for it. Any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards