Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

No wedding band, just engagement ring...

My fiance bought my engagment ring and said that there is no wedding band that goes with it, it is just this.  (so he is not getting a wedding band as well for me)

Is this normal to just have your engagement ring as your wedding ring as well.  How does this work on the wedding day, do I take it off and give it to the ring bearer and then he places that same ring on my finger...

Please give me some advice on what to do! :-) Thanks. I would love to have a wedding band, but that is really not in our budget, the engagement ring itself is beatiful.

Thanks.,

Re: No wedding band, just engagement ring...

• Options
    Some people don't wear wedding rings, some people wear it on the right hand (in Europe), some cultures don't have engagement rings. I think that being married will come up in conversation with anyone important so I wouldn't worry about that.

However, you do'nt have to buy a matching band. You can buy whatever wedding band you want!

In Turkish tradition, there is only one ring, and on the wedding day, the husband moves it from the right hand to the left (or v.v., not sure, I'm not turkish!).
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have seen it both ways. Some girls only wear their e-ring for special occasions and just wear the band all of the time. Some wear them both together. But regardless, if you want an band, don't give up looking or trying to find something to fit. There are a lot of options out there, I would just keep looking. I have seen curved bands as well, you could even get them saudered together. Have you thought about/tried on any of the spacers or whatever they are called where you e-ring sits down inside a 2 banded ring thing? Those seem to be really popular right now. I tried them, but decided didn't like the look with my e-ring.

It might be expensive, but you could also always look into a custom jeweler.
  • Options
    My ring is curved too, and didnt come with the band, so my Fi is having one made custom to fit it, its also kind of a unique ring, with some cutouts on it, so the band will have matching cutouts. Im so excited! If its in your budget (mine will have no stones and using pre-owned gold to keep costs down), Id go the custom route, it was important to me to wear both rings.
  • Options
    I have an e-ring and a band that were bought separately.  During the ceremony I had DH put the band on top of the e-ring and then I just switched them after the ceremony.

I wear both almost everday.  They aren't soldered together and sometimes I wear just my band.
  • Options

I think a lot of the time people go elsewhere to look for a band that will work or they have a band custom made. That is what I would do.

• Options
    Okay I would not have a ring bearer if he is not bringing any new rings... that is kind of weird...
  • Options
    The RB is just there to look cute.  Usually he just carries fake rings anyway.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-band-just-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:42219c92-884c-4da2-b667-1a0d5f7abb4bPost:3eae155d-c890-4f97-8703-bb1a5adebfc8">Re: No wedding band, just engagement ring...</a>:
    [QUOTE]How would people know you were even married if you didn't have a band?  They would always think you were engaged. 
    Posted by venessar[/QUOTE]

And strangers not knowing your exact marital status is a problem how exactly?

OP, as PPs have said, you don't need a wedding band. If you want one, it doesn't need to be the matching set to your e-ring - you can buy a separate band or have one made. If you'd like a band, and your e-ring makes it hard to find one that works, you can wear your e-ring on your right hand and wedding ring on your left hand. There are no rules, it's pretty much up to you and your FI. During the wedding, I had my e-ring on my right hand, and I put it back on my left after the ceremony.
  • Options
    My wedding band doesn't fit with my e-ring which doesn't bother me at all, there's barely a gap inbetween the two and I'll always wear them together. But ditto pp's about getting a band custom made to fit your e-ring.
  • Options
    i always thought you kept it on and he puts the band on with it during the ceremony...i have a similiar situation....my civil ceremony is on the 11th and we dont want to wear our actual bands....can the civil ceremony be done without an exhanging of rings???? sorry to hop on your post but it wouldnt let me post my question.......
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_wedding-band-just-engagement-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:42219c92-884c-4da2-b667-1a0d5f7abb4bPost:3eae155d-c890-4f97-8703-bb1a5adebfc8">Re: No wedding band, just engagement ring...</a>:
    [QUOTE]How would people know you were even married if you didn't have a band?  They would always think you were engaged. 
    Posted by venessar[/QUOTE]

I disagree with this.  And really, who cares.  Plenty of people do not have one, or only have a band.  It doesn't make you any less married to not have one.

And if you did get one, the E Ring would go on your right hand, then the band, then the E ring after. 
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    If you dont want a wedding band, that is fine. As far as people not knowing your married, who cares?? I am engaged, but i dont wear my ring to the gym because i hate wearing jewelry when im working out... so that definitely doesnt matter.

Lots of engagement rings do not have matching bands with them.My engagement ring's band has some curves and ridges to it. When i tried on bands, they were not looking right at all. I tried the contour bands as well and they looked a lot better.  But, i still wasnt feeling it... finally they showed me the wraps and they fit perfect!! Your engagement sits in it and its like having two bands on either side. It looks really nice.

You just have to go and try rings on with your engagement ring. Its just trial and error. That is what the people are for in the store, they help you out! I had a lot of fun trying on all the rings.

As for what you do with your engagement ring? You give it to the best man. Your wedding band should go on first because it should be closest to your heart. You can swap them later if you like it the other way around
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've actually never heard of someone not wearing a wedding band, but I guess it's personal opinion. I can't wait to wear mine, with my engagement ring, when i get married! I plan on wearing both everyday. But like I said, it's personal opinion.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a plain band that FI gave me, but he didn't give it to me when he proposed.  I didn't need a new ring for that.  Does that make me not engaged?  And my wedding ring will be a puzzle ring.  Who really cares what ring you're wearing, as long as YOU are happy.  Right?
  • Options
    Actually, I've never heard of using the engagement ring as the wedding band.  But I've heard of women not getting an e-ring and just wearing a wedding band, 

As PPs have said, you can find bands pretty cheap on the internet and at little jewelry shops.  There's nothing that says your wedding band has to sit flush against your e-ring.

As for during the ceremony, I am leaving my engagement ring on my finger and FI will just slide the wedding band onto my finger in front of my e-ring.  I don't understand wearing the e-ring on the right hand during the ceremony, since it's not worn like that in real life.  After the ceremony, before pictures, I will switch my rings, since the wedding band is supposed to be worn closest to the heart.
  • Options
    If you don't have the budget for a band, then I would say to wait. If it would mean going into debt to pay for a second ring, then why do it?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    You can always get a band in a few years. You can typically find one to match a ring if it is not too crazy of an e-ring.

My FI's parents just got another band for her e-ring. She hever had a weding band until a few years ago.
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem.  My mom is insisting on tradition, but I think my e-ring is pretty on it own.  The plan my fiance and I had was to replace the stones (they're glass currently) with really ones, instead of spending the money on another band.  I'm not really a jewelry person myself.  I think you have to do what's meaningful for yourself not what other people think is right.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards