Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

How late is too late?

I want to have an evening wedding, but I know if it's too late that it might not to be best to have a heavy meal. Our church has the big stained glass windows, and I wanted to do a low light setting, with rustic look and candles so I was hoping to do it at a time, when the sun was setting and the room was not dark but a romantic dimmed setting. But the sun won't start to set in August untill somewhere between 6:00 and 7:00. I'm not going to have much dancing really, more entertainment with the food and maybe things like a photo booth or onsite artist. Should I just make it later, like 6:00, when I can really play with the lighting or just leave that too the reception in the gym where there are no windows?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How late is too late?

• If you do any time before about 8, you really need to serve a full meal. 6 is fine, as long as you provide dinner for your guests afterward.
  • Have you already talked to the church?  Because I know some churches have restrictions on what time you can get married.  For example, one Catholic church we looked at didn't allow anything past two so they could have their regularly scheduled 5 pm mass. 

If you have, then I think 6 or so would be okay.  How long of a ceremony were you thinking?  I would either keep it really close to the reception and get it started right away (no gap!) or move it up.  I think having people come at 6/7 is really difficult because of when dinner will be.  People either have to eat before and then snack at the reception, or wait for quite a while to get dinner.  
  • If your church does allow a 6:00 ceremony, a full dinner is appropriate. If you are planning a photo session after the ceremony, then a cocktail hour for the guests during that time is necessary. Guests will know to grab a late afternoon snack before leaving for your wedding and will be hungry by 7:00.

• At that time of the evening, you'll def need a full meal. We got married in our church and had the reception in the fellowship hall. Dinner was supposed to start at 7:30, but it ended being 8:00 because of some "problems" - anyway, even then, people expected food, so I would plan on dinner.
  • Um, in West Virginia in August sunset will be MUCH later than 6-7pm.  Probably closer to 9.
    DSC_9275
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    All of this depends upon the season of the year you choose for the wedding.  Summer would really be the only time that the natural light would push the meal to what many would consider late.  Choose winter and you'll be out of the Church by 5:00.
  • Sunset on Aug 31 2013 in Charleston will be 7:46 pm.  If you have your ceremony at sunset (say, 7:30) you can still serve a meal.  It's one of those times where you might be able to get away with light refreshments and/or dessert if it's a weekend and you specify such on the reception card/invitation, but really a meal is better.
  • I don't understand the question.  Are you trying to AVOID serving a meal and still have your twilight-ing?  I don't think that will be possible because you must serve a meal unless your ceremony starts at 8:00 or later.   You can ALWAYS serve a full meal regardless of how late the ceremony/reception are.   Just put "Dinner Reception to Follow" if you think a very, very late hour might make guests think that they should eat beforehand. 
  • Our ceremony is at 6:30. Cocktails and hordoiervs following. Full dinner after that.

• if sunset is supose to be 7;43 i would start the cerimoney at 7. because  7;43 is when the sun will set, not when it will be going down and casting the light you want. it takes about 45 minutes for the sun to set so i think 7 would be perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards