Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

% of no response

Soo, I have heard the the average "no" response is 20% of your invites. Anybody else agree with this??

I know it depends on out of towners, location, etc but just curious about your experience with this!

Re: % of no response

• We were told 10%, 15% and up to 30%. About 50 people live out of state and may result in the mob mentality. If one goes all of them will go. So that puts a huge variance level into our guest list!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Always, always plan for 100% attendance. Some brides have had it, and you don't want to run out of space, food, or money!
  • If I hadn't taken the wise counsel here to plan for 100% attendance we would have been screwed for my first DD's wedding.  She got married in the middle of a Michigan Winter and we had 96% accept.  I budgeted and planned for 100% so we were fine.  If we hadn't, we would have probably really embarrassed ourselves.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_of-no-response?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4484d29c-ff97-4f9c-94a7-2043940c1b64Post:485c5b26-97d6-43ce-bde7-4341ac05075a">Re: % of no response</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Always, always plan for 100% attendance. Some brides have had it, and you don't want to run out of space, food, or money!</strong>
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    This.  A million times this.<div>
    </div><div>I've been very pleasantly surprised so far at the people who I assumed wouldn't make the trip for my little wedding who are going to come.  </div>
  • 2 no

200 yes
    Be careful!
  • I agree, plan on and be prepared for 100% attendance.  As for what is more realistic, I've read to expect between 20-30% decline depending on the situation.  We've invited just over 200 (all OOT) and while we're expecting more like 150-160, we're prepared if all 200 show up.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had more like a 40-45% decline rate, but it's a holiday weekend, and out of town for everyone we invited, so we knew there would be a lot of no's.
    DSC_9275
  • Plan for 100% but if you have a lot of out-of-towners you probably won't get it.  We had about 40% decline.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_of-no-response?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4484d29c-ff97-4f9c-94a7-2043940c1b64Post:4fc93473-f7e7-47db-a783-f7bcf6ef8417">Re: % of no response</a>:
    [QUOTE]Never, never, never count on ANY percent not coming.  Many a bride has done that to her sorrow, and ended up with a venue that was overbooked, or guests that her budget couldn't accommodate. <strong>You never know when Aunt Tillie from Botswana might decide that your wedding is the perfect opportunity for that visit to the states that she's been putting off....</strong>.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>Bolded cracked me up!</div>
  • I have heard that the decline percentage is 10-20% but please please do yourself a favor and plan as if every single person invited is attending.  I had only 15 no responses and only one no show the day of.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • edited March 2012
    Planning for 100% is also a great way to "save" if you do have people decline.  FI and I thought we'd have to wait a while before we could take a honeymoon, but now that we've had so many declines, we can go sooner because the money is already there and earmarked for wedding expenses.

Edited to make sense, though it still may not, because I'm getting tired.
  • Ditto PPs. Plan for 100%.

We invited around 35 to our home for our wedding. We got married during the hurricane, and only two people didn't make it - and that wasn't because of the hurricane.

Definitely don't bank on 20% not showing up... can you imagine how absolutely embarrassing that would be - and for them, too?

• Ditto PP's, you need to plan and budget for 100%.  We had about a 96% accept rate, even people I was 110% sure they wouldn't be able to make it ended up coming, so if we hadn't prepared for everyone, we would've been screwed.
    Anniversary
  • I agree that it's never a good idea to "plan" on a certain percentage not coming, but my sister's wedding ended up being right about 25%, with a lot of out of towners and in yucky November weather.   Too soon to tell for mine:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards