Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

A little tricky...

So, I'm newly engaged and getting used to everything that comes with it, and I can't wait to marry my best friend. However, one thing I've been dreading for my entire life is, ironically, my walk down the aisle. My father passed away when I was a teen, and I've had a lot of questions from nosey friends about what I plan on doing about walking down the aisle and the traditional Father/Daughter, Mother/Son dance. I really don't want to take that special moment away from my soon to be mother-in-law and my fiance, but I don't want to open a can of worms right in the middle of my reception. I've always sort of thought I would have my little brother walk me down the aisle, do you think that's appropriate? And, What should I do about the Father/Daughter dance? 

Re: A little tricky...

• I think having your little brother walk you down the aisle is perfectly fine! You can also choose to walk alone, walk with FI, etc. It's really up to you!

It's also fine to have a mother/son dance and skip the F/D if you want to; you don't have to have one. If you do decide you want to do a dance, is there another male in your life that you are close to? A grandfather, uncle, cousin, friend, etc that you would want to do a special dance with? If not, I would skip it altogether.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I think you can definitely have your brother walk you down the aisle.  My dad was at the ceremony but in a wheelchair so my mom walked me down the aisle.  He was not able to make it to the reception (he started to not feel good) so my brother stepped in and danced with me during the father/daughter dance. 
    Anniversary
  • VJones1981VJones1981 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I agree with what everyone else has said. I am in a similar situation and have decided to walk myself down the aisle. I have never met my biological father and was raised by my grandparents. The only person I ever wanted to walk me down the aisle was my grandfather. Nobody could replace him, so, since he passed away, I chose not to have anyone fill that role. As far as the dance goes, we are skipping it. FI will still have the dance with his mother, though. FMIL has offered many alternatives for me, but it is, to me at least, a personal decision. Do whatever you are comfortable with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards