Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Interfaith Issues

Hi everyone, I'll be short, just need some advice. My FI is a practicing Catholic (as is his family) and I am Methodist. When we first got engaged last summer, FI thought we had to get married in the Catholic Church in order for it to be recognized as one of his sacraments (outside of mass service, no communion) Since then, I bit my tongue and tried to accept this during pre-cana, signing of papers that he would do his best to raise our children Catholic, and not being able to have the wedding I've been planning since I was 5 yrs old. Days ago, while I was talking to the coordinator at the church she mentioned that the priest just performed a convalidation, and I asked her what it was. When I heard this, I was shocked that there are ways for the Catholic Church to recognize FI's marriage w/o getting married in the Church. FI is okay if we have the ceremony outside Church in my home parish, just as long as it is recognized by Catholic Church. Does anyone know if this can be performed just about anywhere? Not sure if regional diocese can choose to do this or not or if it's a globally-known phenomenon? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Interfaith Issues

• Options
    Talk to his priest, he'll know the convalidation rules.  A lot of times there has to be special dispensation for a convalidation to be performed, so it's better to clear things in advance than to find out later that they won't grant the request.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards