Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Explaining the Customs in the Program

My FI and I have finally gotten all of our ducks in a row as far as what customs we will be using in our multicultural May 2011 wedding: ALL OF THEM.

We're doing the 13 Gold Coins (arras), the kissing of the cross, the lazo, the flowes for the virgin Mary and jumping the broom.

We weren't planning on it but his family gave us all of the accessories from their craft store (the lasso alone was $200!) so I didn't mind honoring their gift by using. But then I wanted to make sure that we honored the ONE wedding  tradition African Americans have: jumping the broom. My FI said his family might not be thrilled with the idea of us jumping in church....they'll have to get over it.

That being said: should I add a page in the program to explain the traditions to the guests?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Explaining the Customs in the Program

• Options
    I think that would be a good idea so that people know what is going on!
  • Options
    I agree. I would be interested in reading a brief history of the traditions if I were at a wedding using customs unfamiliar to me.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    I would enjoy that a lot.
  • Options
    I love explanations on traditions as long as it's brief and not too historical.  People don't want to know the history behind it.  They just want to know what it means to you.

Since FI and I are Catholic and we are also doing the Devotion to Blessed Virgin Mary during our Nuptial Mass, how about you write something like this?

"As Catholics, [you] and [your FI] look to Mary as the perfect example of a wife and a mother, and to the Holy Family as model they hope to emulate in their life together. For this reason, [you] will present a bouquet of flowers to the Blessed Virgin as she prays that Mary's example will guide their family on God's path for them."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Great idea explaining them!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes!  Yes!  I love reading about different traditions and why people are doing them in their ceremony.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_explaining-customs-program?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4a6a2895-2011-4858-9766-dcc768a9cea7Post:303aa235-0ce7-40e4-8666-0894ee8ed7f3">Re: Explaining the Customs in the Program</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love explanations on traditions as long as it's brief and not too historical.  People don't want to know the history behind it.  They just want to know what it means to you . Since FI and I are Catholic and we are also doing the Devotion to Blessed Virgin Mary during our Nuptial Mass, how about you write something like this? <strong>"As Catholics, [you] and [your FI] look to Mary as the perfect example of a wife and a mother, and to the Holy Family as model they hope to emulate in their life together. For this reason, [you] will present a bouquet of flowers to the Blessed Virgin as she prays that Mary's example will guide their family on God's path for them."</strong>
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

I love it! Thanks. Considering how many customs we're using, we're planning on making the whole thing no more than a page long .
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We did a Jewish ceremony, and described all of the Jewish customs.  If you are using customs that not all guests are familiar with, it would be a good idea to have an explanation.

Besides, this would avoid situations like the one we had at my sister's wedding.  The service was all in Spanish, so we didn't really understand a lot of it.  When they put the lasso around the bride and groom, my brother leaned over and asked, "Is this the Mexican bondage ceremony?"  I had to try really hard to keep a straight face.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we're doing the same thing for our wedding.  it lets everyone know what is going on and why it's important.   as for jumping the broom in church, they should be ok.  more couples are doing it in churches. 
  • Options
    We're doing the same thing. I love the idea of explaning the traditions because not everyone comes from the same knowledge base!

We're having a Jewish wedding and FI isn't Jewish so a lot of what we're doing is going to look and sound funny. So it's just a quick easy way to explain!!

And can I ask an ignorant question- why do you jump the broom?
  • Options
    Just be careful about the way you explain the jumping of the broom.  While it's been adopted as an African American tradition, it's actually a LOT older than that, and is  Pagan tradition.  If you're in a Christian church when you get married, they may not allow it, as many do not allow other Pagan traditions, like handfasting (which is where you get the term "tie the knot").
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    I think explaining the customs would be wonderful!

And also, I have to add I love your attitude..."They'll have to get over it." You really did make me laugh out loud! Good for you!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards