Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father-daughter dance- But Dad won't dance with me!

So when I asked my dad about a song for a father-daughter dance, he laughed at me saying I was crazy if I thought he was going to dance.  I understand that he has probably never danced before and doesn't want to start now, but I would still like to do something that would mean a lot for my dad and I.  I was thinking about just playing one of his favorite songs in honor of him during the reception when everyone else was dancing.  Is there any other non-dancing options?  Or should I just nix the idea all together?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Mrs. Sarah Benson

Re: Father-daughter dance- But Dad won't dance with me!

• Options
    I think just playing a song for him when he's actually there, is just going to make a spectacle out of him not wanting to dance. I would just not do it.
  • Options
    Aww, I'm sorry your dad won't dance with you. My dad doesn't like dancing either, but he's doing it for me this once. I guess I'm lucky.

So, I'm thinking of what else you can do... Is he shy of being in front of people, or is it just about dancing? If it's just the dancing, you could do a sentimental reading together, or prepare something funny, depending on your personalities. If he really doesn't like being in front of people, you could do a special toast and dedicate a song to your dad, telling the guests why you chose that song and what it means to you. Or tell one of your favoirite stories about your dad, or a favorite memory of a special childhood time with him. Or write a peom for him. There are lots of different things you can do instead of a dance. Don't be afraid to brainstorm and get creative! ;)
  • Options
    If you just played one of your/your dad's favorite songs without announcing it, I think that would be okay. It could be almost a private, sweet moment for the two of you. Hearing the song played without drawing attention to the fact that it's a replacement because your dad didn't want to dance.

The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-but-dad-wont-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:4ab990d0-f9ff-4ef7-b9e6-b881cbffeba0Post:383ac800-3036-400a-8564-9e21c4fb932a">Re: Father-daughter dance- But Dad won't dance with me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you just played one of your/your dad's favorite songs without announcing it, I think that would be okay. It could be almost a private, sweet moment for the two of you. Hearing the song played without drawing attention to the fact that it's a replacement because your dad didn't want to dance.
    Posted by MelissaAnne88[/QUOTE]

this.
  • Options
    My dad refuses to dance too.  We'll just play a special song during dinner and leave it at that.  :-/  Oh well, I guess.  I'm not as into dancing as my FI is, though, so he will probably do a grandma-grandson dance.  :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Did you just speak with him about it the one time?  I'm certainly not condoning badgering him or anything, but my dad was joking around during planning that he wasn't going to dance or give a speech and he ended up doing both.  I just asked him a couple weeks later if he was kidding or if he would dance and he just said "of course I'll dance...but only that one song!"

Maybe just check whether he's serious?  If he is, then I would probably just leave it out, or like PP said play a song but don't announce anything.  
  • Options
    Honestly, the evening will be such a blur for you that I doubt you'll miss the father daughter dance.  Maybe just ask your dad for a dance when everyone else is dancing too. He might be less uncomfortable if the whole crowd isn't staring. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone!  Really helped me out!
    Mrs. Sarah Benson
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-but-dad-wont-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:4ab990d0-f9ff-4ef7-b9e6-b881cbffeba0Post:e8327e89-f752-4bf5-be58-1bf7898f2740">Re: Father-daughter dance- But Dad won't dance with me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the great ideas everyone!  Really helped me out!
    Posted by dusarahbear[/QUOTE]
    You're welcome!

Hope you find something that works for you :)
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    I hope he changes his mind. That was my dad's initial reaction :)
    My daddy doesn't like dancing, or being the center of attention. But I mentioned him being able to pick the song, and how much it would mean to me. And he has been looking for songs ever since =)
    Good luck darling !
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards