Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Question about a mother/son dance..

We discussed not doing the dance at all but I'm wondering how we could go about this. My fiance has divorced parents - His dad and mom both got remarried. How could we go about a mother/son dance and include both of his mothers?

Re: Question about a mother/son dance..

• Options
    Assuming he wants to do the mother/son dance it can be easily done two ways. Either half of the song with one mother and the other half of the song with the other mom. Or two different songs for each, and it doesn't have to be one after the other either.
  • Options

If he is close with both of them, i would say just have him dance with one for the first half of a song, and the second one with the last half?

sorry i'm not dealing with this, so idk. 

hope that helps! GL

snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My fiance's parents are remarried as well. He will just be dancing with his biological mother. He might end up dancing with her later, but we're not too worried about it (he and his stepmother do not get along well).
  • Options
    I would say that if he is still close with his biological mother that dance (if you do it, you don't have to) should be reserved for her. She is his mom. He can dance with his step-mother later in the night.

But if you really want to do both then just split it half way through.

• Options
    I say just let him dance with his biological mom and leave it at that.  He will have plenty of opportunities to dance with his step-mother during the night.  But, this is ultimately a decision that should be left up to him.

I'm skipping all those honorary dances - way too much headache when parents are divorced.  Feelings can get hurt so easily.  Not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure about splitting the song in half, I'd ask his biological mom if she minded sharing the song with his stepmother before planning anything definite. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am having the exact same dilemma -- my fiance gets along with both his biological mom and stepmom - but his stepmom raised him for the most part (although this was not his biological mother's choice - needless to say, they do NOT get along at all!).

We are most likely going to skip the first dances with the parents altogether so that neither mother will get hurt by having one dance with him before the other. It gets really complicated, but the first dance is just a tradition made up by someone, so do it however you feel comfortable!
  • Options
    we are doing he father-daughter dance, because I want to dance with my dad.  My FI, on the other hand will be skipping the mother-son dance.  His parents are divorced and even though he is closer to his step-mom, he has chosen not to dance with either one.
    image. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards