Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Wedding band

My FI gave me a 'promise ring' years ago, after we had been together for six years. Three years later he proposed and when he did I moved my promise ring from my left ring finger to my right, to make room for my engagement ring! I have been wearing the two rings on seperate fingers for the past few months and plan to do so till the wedding, but I am thinking that I want to make my promise ring into my wedding band instead of getting a seperate one.

I love this ring and don't want to stop wearing it, but probably wouldn't wear three rings at a time. It's a super simple silver Tiffanys band with three small inset diamonds. It's similar in color and style to my engagement ring. I would probably have my FI get it engraved with something before the wedding, and maybe have the minister incorporate that I am making my promise ring into my wedding band somehow, just to tie it in.

I really like this plan but my mom isn't thrilled by my idea, but won't give me a solid reason against doing it other than 'but you will wish you had another ring.' Any other thoughts on this?
Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie

Re: Wedding band

• Options
    If you love it, I don't see why you shouldn't make it into your wedding band. I wouldn't bother having it mentioned during the ceremony, though. When you show people your rings, you can explain the story.
  • Options
    Moms are funny about the things they get randomly weird about.  Or, maybe it's just my mom?  Or maybe it's just everyone!

A wedding band is a personal decision.  In fact, it's YOUR decision.  Your mother has no say over your band.  She can like or dislike the idea, but her word is certainly not final.  I think the idea of incorporating your promise ring as your wedding band is a lovely thought.  Why have three rings?
  • Options
    I love the idea of incorporating your promise ring. It was a step of commitment you two decided to make, you've worn the ring as a symbol for years, and I just love the idea.
  • Options
    If you repost can you please put xp in the title. Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry I am new to forums, can you explain xp please?! And any other things that may be helpful
    Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards