Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Belgian wedding tradition: Le Connemara

I was born and raised till I was 17 in Belgium. Over there there's a modern wedding tradition that happens right after the cutting from the cake called: Le Connemara, after the song that's played during it. This is a video from the wedding tradition in a Belgian reality show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LpTHk2QYM&feature=related

I'd really love to have it at my wedding but I'm not sure if it fits over here and if people won't find this strange. Should it be explained at the wedding that it's a Belgian tradition? Should I just leave it?

Re: Belgian wedding tradition: Le Connemara

• Options
    It looks fun, but even from the video I have no idea what it is or the significance. I would put a little blurb about it on the menus or program somewhere, and clue in PLENTY of family members/ wedding party members before hand so they can lead by example. I'm sure the rest of the guests will join in, but if there are a series of motions and not just swinging the napkin around, I wouldn't expect everyone to get it exactly right!
    You could also have your DJ say a few short words about it before he starts the song for it to make sure everyone knows it's a Belgium tradition and how to do it.
    I think you should go for it, since you are from Belgium and all, and it looks fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It doesn't really have a meaning, it's more a way to celebrate the marriage :).
    The napkin is just waved around at the rhytm of the song which varies a lot and people dance around with the couple at the center of the room.
    It's a lot of good fun and a way to lighten up the mood during dinner. 
  • Options
    Sure, it will fit in. If the wedding party and the family member start waving the napkins, the other guests will follow suit.
    This is also done on some cruise ships on formal night, right before dessert is served. The waiters parade around the tables, waving napkins and nudging the guests to join in the fun.

• Options
    That looks really fun!
  • Options
    Whoa!  That looks like fun.  I agree with the aforementioned suggestions: as long as you give it an introduction and brief explanation, your guests shouldn't be too thrown off.  They may think it's weird, but hey, your wedding should be what you want it to be.  :)

I've heard the word Connemara before, but it was in an Irish context, meaning "man of the sea."  What does it mean to Belgians?
  • Options
    Same meaning, the song has nothing to do with a wedding... In fact it wasn't even written or composed for a wedding. They just started using this one for it :).
    It's a song in french about an area in Ireland.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards