Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Jewish Catholic

Any tips on a Jewish Catholic ceremony? My fiance's rabbi won't do anything involving a priest. : Does anyone know any rabbis in the Omaha area who would? Or have alternative ideas?

Re: Jewish Catholic

• Are you sure your priest would do anything with a rabbi?

• edited March 2013
    A poster on Jewish weddings always recommends this site to find rabbis: http://www.interfaithfamily.com/

However, I agree with PP's suggestion here that your priest may not be open to this, and I think it will be difficult to find a rabbi who will do this.  My understanding is that Catholic weddings need to be done in a Catholic church.  I think it is highly unlikely that you would find a rabbi that would be open to going into the church and participating in a ceremony, nevermind whether the church would allow that.  I think you and your FI may need to figure out what you actually want if having both isn't an option.  
  • edited March 2013
    Can you have a justice of the peace who can perhaps incorporate some traditions of both religions like the breaking of the glass and the unity candle?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm surprised that neither of you apparently thought this would be difficult to find officiants for. How attached are both of you to your respective religions? Are you merely 'culturally' Catholic and Jewish? Are you trying to satisfy parents? The ceremony should reflect your and his beliefs and no one else's. You also need to consider how you two will be raising any potential children, since that will enter into whether a priest will even allow you a Catholic wedding.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_jewish-catholic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:5acba0e2-31eb-4e75-9028-a8fc1c154d8dPost:0c38a8a7-e078-43fb-ad08-ac4e2bc1c312">Re: Jewish Catholic</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm surprised that neither of you apparently thought this would be difficult to find officiants for. How attached are both of you to your respective religions? Are you merely 'culturally' Catholic and Jewish? Are you trying to satisfy parents? The ceremony should reflect your and his beliefs and no one else's. You also need to consider how you two will be raising any potential children, since that will enter into whether a priest will even allow you a Catholic wedding.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

Everything that Allie said, especially the last part.  The wedding ceremony may end up being your easiest problem here.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_jewish-catholic?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:5acba0e2-31eb-4e75-9028-a8fc1c154d8dPost:3eed489c-d074-4402-b19c-d616c1a8a94e">Re:Jewish Catholic</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Jewish Catholic : FYI, the unity candle is not a Catholic tradition. The Jewish and Catholic faiths mean MUCH more than just those two traditions. Catholics who marry outside of the church are not allowed o receive communion. You don't throw the baby out with the bath water here; you find a solution to appease both parties. OP, I'd talk to your priest too to see if this is even feasible. I hope it works out!
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

All of this.

PLUS... it is possible to marry outside the Church (with a dispensation) for serious reasons, and being able to marry with a rabbi may *possibly* be enough of a reason.  Talk to your priest to hear if he has any suggestions about allowing a rabbi into the Catholic ceremony or petitioning for a dispensation for you to marry somewhere else with a rabbi. 

SaveSave
  • I've been to a wedding where a rabbi and a priest co-officiated in a Catholic church - but the rabbi was Reform and the priest was quite laid back. It's generally up to the individuals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• If your rabbi is Orthodox or Conservative, they may not be willing to officiate at an interfaith ceremony, with or without a priest.  You would need a Reform rabbi for this.
  • The ladies on here gave some good advice. I also suggest NOT booking ANYTHING until you can find a solution for this issue. You don't want to end up canceling 8 weeks out because you can't find a solution. Good luck!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards