Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Gifts for Parents/Grandparents??

What is the ettiquette for buying gifts for parents and grandparents?  We are not really close to any of them (except fiance to one of the GMs) We are paying for everything completely ourselves and have a very limited budget-not even going on a honeymoon.

The Mom's have assisted only by keeping me company at one dress fitting. Then there are two "Dads" -one stepdad from childhood (who raised Fiance) and one from recent remarriage (Fiance's mother's newest husband-married after fiance was already adult and out of home) one present but not involved & one not seen for over 10 years but flying in for wedding. Then there are 4 grandmothers also not involved but attending wedding.

The only ones who will actually be present for rehearsal dinner (which we are also paying for) are the mom's and one stepdad. So all the other's couldn't get gifts until day of anyway which may be awkward.

I've just been thinking framed wedding photos for all but they would have to wait until pictures are ordered.

Suggestions on how to handle, who to buy for, and what to buy???

Re: Gifts for Parents/Grandparents??

• Options
    Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2012
    The thank-yous aren't to thank them for paying for the wedding, it's to thank them for raising you and being loving and supprtive figures in your lives.  In this case, I would recommend giving gifts to your parents as couples (if they are married).  I am a big fan of "experience" gifts -- something they can DO instead of something that will collect dust in their house.  Consider a spa gift certificate, couple's massage, dinner at a nice restaurant, concert tickets, a round of golf, night in a nice B&B, tickets to a sports event, or whatever you think they would like.  

Unless your grandparents played a big role in raising you, I don't think you NEED to get them anything.  It's a nice gesture, but I don't think it's expected. 

Edited to add:  framed photos of you are always a nice gift for parents.  That's one "thing" that just about every parent will appreciate.  You could always give them the frame before the wedding, with a note that says you will fill the frame with a photo from the wedding.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Gifts are not necessary at all. Etiquette requires that you write appropriate thank you notes to those that have helped or given you gifts. If the above mentioned people have not done that, you may write a note to each, thanking them for sharing your special day.

As an MOB, I would be thrilled to receive a wedding picture after the wedding. That would be a perfect gift, if you are so inclined, for your parents and grandparents.

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about gifts for any of them.  If you do, a wedding picture framed would be great.  I'm a recent MOB.  The kids didn't give me a gift.  Was I hurt?  Good grief no!  They had other things they needed to use their money for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards