Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

White tux for groom?

My fiance and I were set on him wearing a white tux for the wedding. However, a lot of people are telling us it's a not a good idea. They say that it won't look good in the pictures and will make us look like one big white blob. I do want my dress to stand out, but is his white tux going to really take away from that? Anyone else had the groom in a white tux? Any suggestions are welcomed...we have about a month and a 1/2.

Re: White tux for groom?

• Personally I've always hated the look.  That's just me though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Besides not personally liking the look of white tuxedos, I do think it tends to wash the couple out in photos. Look at some wedding pictures from the 70's. All that pale fabric makes it harder for the photographer to get a focus on your faces.
  • White tux used to be what EVERY groom wore, so it's not unusual or weird or "never done."  And if you like the look, it's YOUR wedding and that's fine for you.

Personally, I wouldn't choose it.  But if YOU want to, then stop listening to other people.
  • My dad wore a white tux for his wedding.  The pictures look ok, but I personally perfer the black/dark suit look
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • It's up to you, but my personal opinion wouldnt be to do it. Black looks much better and more slimming, I just feel like white would wash you out & wouldnt look that great in pictures.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ditto.  I think people generally don't like white tuxes on men.  You could try to incorporate white elements, like a vest and tie. 
  • If you guys want to do it, you can.

However, I'm of the school of thought that white tuxedos are a blight on humanity. I'm sorry, unless you're P-Diddy, you probably don't look good in one.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I'm all for wearing whatever you like, but I did an image search for "white wedding tuxedo" and the results were not good. 
    Anniversary
  • I'm not sure about stark white, but my FI is wearing an ivory tux.  I didn't really care either way and it was the one thing he's been really excited about, so he can wear whatever he wants.  Personally, I've seen some photos where the ivory looks very nice.  But again, that's not quite the same as bright white.  You guys should do whatever you are comfortable with and looks good to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, I only like white tuxedos on darker men. I think they look super sharp and sexy in them, while paler guys look bland in all white.
  • My father wore a white tux...my mom told me that he wore black tube socks and that's all she could focus on when she walking down the aisle, lol (they were married in '79).

If it's what HE really wants I would try to be open minded about it...better than the bride whose FI wanted to wear a batman suit...

FYI, DH wanted "tails" on his tux...I told him now...and he didn't really care that much.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_white-tux-for-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:60547891-5d23-458e-a3b2-9a98475dabd0Post:b68b0ff3-07d6-4ce3-b89a-cc78dba3c13c">Re: White tux for groom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My father wore a white tux...my mom told me that he wore black tube socks and that's all she could focus on when she walking down the aisle, lol (<strong>they were married in '79</strong>). If it's what HE really wants I would try to be open minded about it...better than the bride whose FI wanted to wear a batman suit... FYI, DH wanted "tails" on his tux...I told him now...and he didn't really care that much.
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

My parents were also and my dad wore a white tux because he said that was what people wore to their weddings, traditionally. I don't know who told him that, or if his friends just all had bad taste. :P
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    Men in white tuxes always reminde me of Colonel Sanders or the ice cream man.
  • I was just watching some back episodes of Four Weddings today and there were a couple of grooms that were in white and it looked better than I would have expected. In both situations it seemed to fit well.
  • I think your FI's clothing should really be up to him. My FI decided on an ivory suit. Do I like it? Not really. But it's HIS wedding too, and I'd rather have a smiling, happy FI in a white suit than a sad FI in a dashing black/gray suit. 
  • My friends (now) husband wore a white tux at thier wedding and the pictures turned out fine!! I think if thats the personality your groom has, why not let him wear what he wants to, after all your the one spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to wear exactally what you want, why shouldn't he get to pick out his own outfit for his own wedding day? Having said that, if it was just an idea and something he wasnt set on, I wouldnt encourage it, but imo its not such a big deal as to start your marriage by telling him he cant wear what he wants but you can on your wedding day....

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• What about a Grey tux with your wedding colors worked in somehow? For example if your main color were red then he could wear a Grey tux with a red tie, vest or pocket hankercheif? Grey looks better than white if you were going to do an alternate to Black. I agree, white is very 70's era. Laughing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards