Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

How much input?

How much input do brides have in their bachelorette parties? I was under the impression that they weren't involved at all... but I know someone who's helping plan their own, including a request to have a theme. Not sure if this is something I'll have to do for mine, or if it's customary for the bride to keep out. Any idea?
Scrabble high score: 531

Re: How much input?

• No input, other than guestlist (ie make sure they don't invite someone to the bach who isn't invited to the wedding). 
  • In this case, the bride wanted to implement some kind of theme to the event where we'd all dress up in costumes, but I wasn't sure if this was something that the Maid of Honor or bridesmaids handled. Should I be asking the maid of honor about the plan for the evening instead of the bride?
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • Yes, presumably the MOH is the host and not the bride, so any questions about the event should be directed to her.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I tried to give input when it was asked for, but stay out when it wasn't.  My sister had never been to a bachelorette party before, much less planned one, so she asked me for help and what I wanted.  A bride who refuses to give input when she's asked is probably just as annoying as one who is trying to control everything, so just let whoever is doing the planning take the lead on how much input you should have. 
  • My sister is MOH so she is giving me ideas and I tell her yay or nay. In my circumstance, there are certain things that I know would NOT make my FI happy so thats about all of the input I give.
  • I had some input in mine b.c. when they brainstormed ideas, I didn't like some of them.  We are going to two of my favorite places (a bar and a piano bar) and they picked the dinner spot.  It has gone well so far.  I did the guest list too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have thrown a few bach parties, and I have always chosen to involve the bride in planning, just so she can have exactly the kind of party she wants, and so I can avoid any situations she doesn't like, want, or feel comfortable in.  I would hope my friends would feel the same way.  I mean, I do have limits on what I do and don't want to do, and I'd hate to ruin the party, you know?  I don't agree with the 'bride has no input on any party' rule - to me a good hostess wants her guest of honor to be happy and comfortable, and to me that means involving the bride in planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards