Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Men's engagement rings

So excited FI's engagement ring (link) came in! We picked it out together, and it took a few months for him to settle on one, but we ordered it, it came in in the wrong size, we reordered it, and finally we have it! I kinda like the look of him with a ring. :)

Did anyone else get their FI an engagement ring? My FI is Finnish and his mom not so subtly hinted that I needed to get one for him too. Apparently, both men and women get plain bands for engagement rings, and then exchange jeweled rings at the wedding. Women tend to wear both after the wedding, but men tend to wear one or the other.
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"

Re: Men's engagement rings

• Options
    My husband has both an engagement ring and a wedding band.  He doesn't always wear the engagement ring, but when he does, he wears it on his right hand, and I also wear my engagement ring on my right hand.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Yep, my DH did. He called it his "man-gagement" ring. He hinted about a week after we got engaged that he wanted a ring, too

He doesn't wear it any longer (it was just a simple white gold band) and he now just wears his wedding band.
  • Options
    Funny enough, DH wore his engagement ring (he called it his "practice ring") more than he has worn his wedding band, largely due to work. My wedding band wraps around my engagement ring, so I wear them both on my left hand. I wear H's wedding band on my right hand since he can't wear it. We're looking into getting him a new ring that is non-conductive (he works with electric).
  • Options
    H knew nothing about wedding customs and traditions, and he was disappointed that he didn't get an engagement ring, so he wore his wedding band on his right hand until the wedding. I think they actually do that in Greece or somewhere...
  • Options
    FI wanted a ring to wear as well so we went to the jewelry department of JCP and he picked one out. Fortunately we didn't have to get it resized and he chose a thick band with a smoky topaz stone. He loves sparkle too!
  • Options
    I offered to get H an engagement ring, but he said it felt weird to him. It felt weird to ME that I was getting a pretty sparkly thing and he was getting nothing, so I ended up getting him a really nice writing pen (he's a writer, it's a lot less boring than it sounds, I promise). As pretty as my e-ring is, and I do still wear it with my wedding band, he's gotten a lot more actual use out of the pen!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_mens-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:748ab24d-6e73-495c-bab0-3f0bc42ba580Post:4d00f609-918a-4a6f-ab34-804bbc98d104">Re: Men's engagement rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I offered to get H an engagement ring, but he said it felt weird to him.<strong> It felt weird to ME that I was getting a pretty sparkly thing and he was getting nothing, so I ended up getting him a really nice writing pen (he's a writer, it's a lot less boring than it sounds, I promise).</strong> As pretty as my e-ring is, and I do still wear it with my wedding band, he's gotten a lot more actual use out of the pen!
    Posted by Djinxs[/QUOTE]

<div><font color="#333333">I totally agree!  So when we got engaged in September, I told FI if the SF Giants made it to the World Series, I'd take him to a game.  I know I still came out "ahead" in the deal, but game 1 was damn good, and worth every penny of the $400/pc I paid for us to go.  And I don't even like baseball.</font></div>

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    My FI wanted an engagement ring too, and I wanted to get him one.  I didn't see why I had to be the only one with a public sign of our impending marriage, especially given that we had a long engagement (almost two years).  So one day we went to Jared's and picked him out a nice platinum ring. When we get married, he's going to move it to his right hand and wear his titanium wedding ring on his left hand.  Works well for us!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Don't crucify me, but I would question a man wanting an engagment ring.  It's a woman thing, ya know?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards