Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

first look vs. waiting

Which did you/ are you going to do?

What are the pros and cons?

Waiting ladies: Did your heart pound? did you hold your breath?

First lookers: Did you have to hurry to get ready to be able to do this

unmarried knotties:  how do you think your choice will play out?

Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.

Re: first look vs. waiting

• Options
    I am waiting because that moment is literally the only wedding-related thing I've dreamt about since I was a little girl.  I never cared about the dress, the flowers, the food, etc.  Whenever I imagined my wedding, I always imagined seeing my FI for the first time as I'm coming down the aisle.

It's a very personal decision for everyone.  While I've always wanted that moment, I'm sure there are people who always dreamt about having a special moment for just the two of them before the ceremony.  Or people who were really indifferent about it and went with whatever worked better for their schedule, etc.  It's really up to you and your FI to decide where you fall...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Was gonna see how maybe taking a few pics after the ceremony and maybe taking the rest the next afternoon. I don't really know yet.
  • Options
    We're doing a first look. It just made more sense for our schedule and we are not superstitious or traditional about things like that. 
  • Options
    We saw each other before the ceremony.  No, there was no rush to get ready; in fact, I was ready early.  It was really nice to have that moment with just the two of us.  I am pretty high strung and H is one of the few people who can calm me down, so seeing him and being with him was a huge help for me.  We were able to do all of our photos pre-ceremony and then we went into hiding as the guests arrived.

Walking down the aisle was still magical.  Taking it all in, knowing I was walking toward the man who, in just a few minutes, would be my husband, all of our family and friends surrounding us to witness and support our marriage...it was amazing.  I really don't feel that having seen H pre-ceremony took away from that at all.  Someone in another post described it as being anti-climactic and it definitely was not for us.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-vs-waiting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:764a9dd2-c0dd-4e5f-b52c-fabdd06c2712Post:22e95775-20cd-4980-9395-d1eefd8a9a0b">Re: first look vs. waiting</a>:
    [QUOTE]We saw each other before the ceremony.  No, there was no rush to get ready; in fact, I was ready early.  It was really nice to have that moment with just the two of us.  I am pretty high strung and H is one of the few people who can calm me down, so seeing him and being with him was a huge help for me.  We were able to do all of our photos pre-ceremony and then we went into hiding as the guests arrived. Walking down the aisle was still magical.  Taking it all in, knowing I was walking toward the man who, in just a few minutes, would be my husband, all of our family and friends surrounding us to witness and support our marriage...it was amazing.  I really don't feel that having seen H pre-ceremony took away from that at all.  Someone in another post described it as being anti-climactic and it definitely was not for us.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

Interesting, DG

I think it's a great idea for some but the idea that you just meet up and walk down the aisle as you would enter a church any other time puts me off a bit.  You didn't do that though.  That special time sounds wonderful!
  • Options
    I want to wait I always dreamt that the first time I would see my FI was me walking down the aisle and he talks about how excited he is for the moment all the time! I tell him how many days we have left and he responds with "### When I get the privledge of seeing you walk down the aisle towards me in the I am guessing beautiful white dress that I will see for the first time" So no first look for us... But I am letting guest have a prayer and eat salad while they are waiting for us to get done with pictures after the ceremony. 
  • Options
    This is the one wedding thing FI and I can't seem to agree on.

I really want to see each other, just the two of us pre ceremony. As a previous poster mentioned, he's really the only person who can bring me back to earth when I'm a mess with worrying. And since I'm not fond of being the center of attention I know I"m going to be a mess before the ceremony.

He really wants to wait and have that first moment during the ceremony. Safe to say he's more traditional then I am.

He has at least given in on us spending the night together before the wedding, originally he wasn't happy about this either so I might just have to give in on seeing each other pre ceremony.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    October 13, 2012
  • Options
    we saw each other before hand.  no regrets.

we dressed together that morning, rode to the church together, and did all our photos prior to our 11am ceremony, when we walked down the aisle together too.  it just made sense.  i personally am just not into the whole romanticism of the bride walking down the aisle towards the groom, and keeping hte dress a surprise, and believing in "bad luck" and all of that.
  • Options
    We did a first look and it was one of the favorite parts of our day. It's such an amazing and tender moment between the two of you and I love that we were able to show our true emotions and hug and kiss. DH started crying first which of course made me cry (so glad I had airbrushed makeup on!) It was a moment I'll always remember. He got a good look at me and was just in awe, and I don't think you'd get that full affect while walking down a long aisle in front of a big group of people.

No, I wasn't rushed, we planned ahead of time to be ready by a certain time so we could have the first look and get our pictures out of the way before the ceremony. And it took absolutely nothing away from my walk down the aisle, I was still super emotional and cried again when I got up to the front to DH, and the look on his face when I got to the front was priceless. It was great to be able to mingle with our guests at cocktail hour and enjoy the party we had been planning for the past year and a half.
  • Options
    We are not doing a first look.  I will take pictures with my BMs and family and he will take pictures with his GM and family before the wedding, but I want to have that moment where he sees me for the first time walking down the aisle.
  • Options
    LoveMuffinsLoveMuffins member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    We're both super traditional so we're waiting.

I'm not sure how i feel about the first look tbh... it seems great for some girls, but i think even if he wanted to do it i wouldn't. and i know it's silly, cuz i can't think of a good reason why... but i just wouldn't want to do it. it's just not, in my head, how i think things are supposed to go. plus, if i saw him beforehand, separating so that we could go do the ceremony stuff would be SO HARD. like... i'm not going to want to let go of his hand, let go of him, and 'get on with the show'... but it's very important to my dad to walk me down the aisle, so i would have to. it's just easier to wait, and then once i see him at the end of the aisle, i can just be by his side. none of this i see you... now i don't... now i see you again...

once i see him, on that day, they're going to need a lever to pry me loose.

of course, this could also be coming from the fact that i'm feeling very needy right now as he's barely been home this week due to work. *sigh*
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    We waited and we never thought of doing it any other way. We found it more sentimental.
  • Options
    My Fi and I both want to wait on seeing each other until I walk down the aisle. We are not supersitious we just agree on the feeling and experience we want of seeing each other in our church with our family next to us, the music playing. I've considered taking pics with my BM's and my parents beforehand and he can take pics with his groomsmen and parents beforehand. But as far as he and I are concerned we just want to wait until the ceremony.
  • Options
    makes more since for us to do a first look. we get a special time just for the two of us & the guests get more time with us. it's a win win situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just got married on April 30th and we did not do a first look. I am so glad we didnt because it was so special to see his face as I came down the aisle with my dad. I would have it no other way. :)
    We just stopped preventing January 2013! I use a tablet so please forgive my auto correct! :)
  • Options
    we are going to do the first look and I can't wait.  I really think it will be one of my favorite parts of the day, mostly because it will be the one and only time it will be just us (well and the photographer!) all day.  I don't plan on having my veil on and will probably add a few things for the ceremony just so there's still a bit of a surprise factor for how I look
    TTC since December '11 -- stopped BC
    No cycle for 3 months
    Diagnosed PCOS/anovulatory in March '12 and started Clomid 100 mg
    2 cycles of Clomid 100 mg - nothing
    1 cycle of Clomid 150 mg - nothing but thinned lining
    1 cycle of Femara - nothing
    Started Gonal-F + Ovidrel + TI 6/28/12 -- BFN
    Started Follistim + Ovidrel + TI 8/1/12 -- Fingers crossed
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards