Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

cake tasting and food tasting

I want to include people that are in the wedding in the planning of the wedding, but I'm fairly hands on. Though I have given out some tasks, I get the feeling that I need to include them some more. Is it normal to have people come with you to the cake tasting and/or food tasting? I thought about the MOH, but my fiance doesn't really know here and might feel weird. I also thought about my FMI, but then would feel bad about not inviding my own mother and my FMI seems to always be busy doing things that are random and unplanned. So who, if anyone, should come to the cake tasting? and same question for the food tasting.

Please keep in mind, my mother assumed we would do it ourselves and already told me not to worry about scheduling it around her.

Re: cake tasting and food tasting

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I would keep it to only those that must attend (like those paying).

Parents & close friends, if they really want to be involved can be given the dates & info, but them being there means you need to let them give you their opinions and such, which can cause problems.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I agree with PP. Even though bridal party and family members aren't obliged to help or attend planning events, often they want to. But that can be a real headache to schedule.

Also, there really aren't many areas in which a third or fourth opinion is necessary or helpful. I mean, what are you going to do if you want a 3-layer cake, and each of 4 people at a tasting likes a different flavor? And how are you going to decide which flavor to have on which layer? If the tasting involves food you won't eat yourself at the reception [Example: You're not diabetic, but several guests are, so you have a diabetic-friendly meal option], you could bring someone who will eat that dish. But have you ever ordered pizza with a group? It goes round and round forever. I imagine choosing among a caterer's entree options would be similar.

Let people know when the tastings are and tell them they're welcome to attend, but don't expect it. I know my parents especially are letting me plan the wedding like an independent grown-up, even though they're paying. Dad came to one tasting when my fiance couldn't, but it was an open house, not private. He attended a home owners' association meeting instead of a cake tasting with my fiance and myself. [Mom can't eat normal food so sadly can't come to any cake tastings or tastings for groups.]
  • H, Mom and I went cake tasting.  H and I because it was our cake, Mom because she and Dad were writing the checks.

H couldn't go to the tasting with the caterer, so I invited my MOH instead.  Again, it was just the three of us - Mom, MOH and myself.

If you want to invite other people, go for it, but you certainly don't have to.
  • It's just going to be me, FI and my mom. FI and I are paying for it ourselves. I asked my mom, though, because I'm vegan, so I won't be sampling from the meat dishes, but I did want two opinions on those. There is really no reason, in my opinion, to invite so many. It's just like dress shopping. Too many opinions makes it a headache, when it should be a fun experience.
  • H and I pretty much did everything on our own (we paid for it ourselves), so I feel like unless someone else is paying, there's no need to bring others.  Also keep in mind that some caterers charge for tastings more than 2 or 3 people, so you'll have to ask yourself if an extra opinion is worth whatever they might charge.

Anniversary
  • My FI and I have made most decisions on our own (although my parents are helping pay and gave us a set amount to spend as we wish). However we did invite people to go food tasting with us. Mostly because it was a chance to hang out and try yummy food. So it ended up being me, FI, his sister, and one of the groomsmen (we were told we could have 4 people total). My MOH and one bridesmaid were originally asked but couldn't make it. And FMIL had to work (my mom was out of state). It was fun and it didn't hurt to get others opinions. But as PPs mentioned the bridal  party isn't required to attend such events. So I would say invite whoever you want and that you think would like to come.
  • the tasting was something special me and fiance did just the two of us...like a sneak peak of our big day. it was really romantic and cute!
    image182 Invited! image108 Are ready to party!
    image74 Are seriously missing out! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards