Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

When do you send out invitations? When should guests send RSVP?

My fiance's and my wedding isn't until next year, but I'm trying to slowly work on things to ease stress in the long run. How much time before the wedding should I send out the wedding invitations? And how much time before the wedding should I have the guests reply back? The date is 12/21/2013. 

Also, is it tacky to put an email address along with the "snail mail" RSVP card? So people can choose which is easiest for them?

Re: When do you send out invitations? When should guests send RSVP?

• Options
    Invitations go out 6 to 8 weeks before the event. RSVP deadline is based partly on your caterer. I would say give yourself a week or 10 days before the numbers are due to the caterer, that way if people are late with their replies you have time to call them.
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Don't just think about the caterer.  Also ask the florist.  I made the mistake of having people RSVP one week before the caterer needed the info, only to realize that my florist needed a table count earlier so she could order enough flowers for the tables.  Also realize that if you do it too early, people will give you the excuse, "I'm still waiting for some info before I decide."  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_when-do-you-send-out-invitations-when-should-guests-send-rsvp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:80303d2f-dd3b-4ba2-9f1a-3b8f867b6661Post:bfadb468-4d10-4bfe-b745-dae65511a1df">Re: When do you send out invitations? When should guests send RSVP?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't just think about the caterer.  Also ask the florist.  I made the mistake of having people RSVP one week before the caterer needed the info, only to realize that my florist needed a table count earlier so she could order enough flowers for the tables.  Also realize that if you do it too early, people will give you the excuse, "I'm still waiting for some info before I decide."  
    Posted by GJones27[/QUOTE]

We aren't doing floral centerpieces, so I hadn't even thought of that! Good point for the OP.
  • Options

I am sending mine out about a week or 2 after the 3 month mark.  We have a lot of out of town guest, and I want them to have plenty of time to make their travel reservations and I want to make sure that I have enough hotel rooms blocked off for them. My  RSVP date is 3 weeks before the final head count is due to the caterer, so that I have time to track down any missing RSVP's and make any adjustments to hotels if needed.

image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just sent mine out today and my date is june 16th. So right under the 2 month mark. I dont have a lot of out of town guest so that worked best for me. I have the RSVP date for may 20th so I have around a month to make calls and or for late people to RSVP. Also put whatever you want on your response card. I didnt want to spend the money on postage when half the people dont use it so I put a QR code that takes you to our website to rsvp and a phone and email. ITS YOUR WEDDING DO WHAT YOU THINK YOU GUEST WILL RESPOND TO THE BEST!
  • Options
    @Matt&amp;brit  I really like the QR code idea for the RSVP's.  I wish I would have thought of that when doing my replys.
    image 141 Are ready to party!
    weddingcountdown.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards