Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Different

Ceremony idea other than unity candle/sand ceremony? Indoor June wedding in New Orleans. Fiancé is in the Coast Guard.

Re: Different

• i've read about wine box ceremonies, love letter ceremonies, time capsules, flower arrangements (you each add silk flowers to an arrangement for the whole 'love grows' and 'tending garden' connection to marriage)

personally, we left this whole part out of our church wedding and nobody missed it.  our preist actually had our MOH and BM come up and sign the license in the middle of the ceremony, which I thought was rather fun to have photos of that happening, and being witnessed by everyone as the 'official' marriage =)
  • edited February 2013
    We did a wine mixing ceremony, and it was a blast.  Lots of the guests commented on how refreshingly unique it was too.

We took a glass of white wine, and a glass of red.  We toasted each other with custom vows, poured our glasses into a decanter to mix them to a rose.  Then it got poured back out to our glasses and we linked arms to drink to our new life together.  We even continued the theme later by serving rose champagne for the reception toast!  It was so fun, and so us.

Also, because we had custom etched glasses, we can toast at each anniversary.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• You realize that you wedding ceremony IS a unity ceremony? I see anything else as overkill. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_different?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8e207dae-fdc3-4eb0-89b0-d7349b16d8ffPost:21451c92-bebc-4a66-a9af-90b06d49b015">Re: Different</a>:
    [QUOTE]You realize that you wedding ceremony IS a unity ceremony? I see anything else as overkill. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

People choose to have some sort of unity symbolism during the ceremony for any number of reasons.  It is not rude, tacky, insulting or any other reason that it should not be done.  You may not agree with it but there is no reason to criticize someone who does want to do it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • We did the wine box, which was perfect, since we are both wine drinkers. Even our famiy members who don't drink thought it was lovely and tasteful.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_different?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:8e207dae-fdc3-4eb0-89b0-d7349b16d8ffPost:173ab93d-3e7f-411c-b6b9-dbee2d0c1bf7">Re: Different</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Different : People choose to have some sort of unity symbolism during the ceremony for any number of reasons.  It is not <strong>rude, tacky, insulting</strong> or any other reason that it should not be done.  <strong>You may not agree with it but there is no reason to criticize someone who does want to do it.</strong>
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

The only thing I HATE and will criticize people for is participating in a ceremony that they think is "neat" or "cute" and find no personal meaning in and are just using it as a time filler. (I don't find any personal connection to the unity candle or sand ceremony or handfasting, so if I did it it WOULD be tacky and insulting to the people who truly find personal meaning in those ceremonies)

For the coast guard, a sand ceremony would be really fitting, along with a fisherman's knot tying ceremony. Maybe a unity candle as a symbolic "light house"
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to Re:Different:[QUOTE]We did the wine box, which was perfect, since we are both wine drinkers. Even our famiy members who don't drink thought it was lovely and tasteful. Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Same here. It is also a cool momento to have displayed in our house.
  • I did not say anything was awful or tacky. Many brides think they HAVE to do something else, in addition to the regular ceremony. I personally don't know how a candle makes two people unified. I also said I think it's overkill. No different than you giving an opposing view on anything else. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_different?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8e207dae-fdc3-4eb0-89b0-d7349b16d8ffPost:039db4fd-78c5-4db5-bfe3-7284b0fc691b">Re: Different</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did not say anything was awful or tacky. Many brides think they HAVE to do something else, in addition to the regular ceremony. I personally don't know how a candle makes two people unified. I also said I think it's overkill. No different than you giving an opposing view on anything else. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

But you did post in a manner that insinuated anyone who used one was mentally lacking.  Did a unity ceremony bite you as a child or something?  Jeeze, get over the fact that not everyone is your clone.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• We are doing a sand ceremony.  It's important to us that our parents are invovled in the ceremony so they will be participating as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards