Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Toasting Glasses/Knife

Who gets these for the bride and groom?

Re: Toasting Glasses/Knife

• mbrischouxmbrischoux member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_toasting-glassesknife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8ffc1bb0-2c1b-463f-9cae-66ac3f724d81Post:2948b8e4-ea7a-42ea-b94b-7a14e2c80ed7">Toasting Glasses/Knife</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who gets these for the bride and groom?
    Posted by jhastie61[/QUOTE]

My parents gave us personalized ones for our engagement.  We didn't plan on having special ones, but they were given to us.  We didn't get special cake cutting things, since we felt it would be silly to spen that kind of money on something that would likely sit in a drawer after the wedding.

Honestly, it doesn't matter who gets you these things...I've seen them given as gifts to the couple by people of varying relationships:  Parents, FIL's, siblings, bridal party, grandparents, godparents, best friends, anyone.  And there's nothing saying you can't purchase them for yourself!

Hope this helps!
  • My mother bought our toasting flutes.  But we found them by chance on clearance at TJ Maxx.  They were originally $75 each and we got them for $17 each.  The cake knife will probably be borrowed, since I have no idea why we'd want to just have a fancy cake knife sitting around our house.  

No one has to get you those, and if you want you can always get them yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • the caterer or rental company

Special ones are a meaningless detail, IMO
  • We're not having toasting glasses since I don't drink. The knife is an heirloom in my family and we will be getting it from my grandmother.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • You don't have to have them. We wanted them and still use them! Since we pay for them, we use them to drink wine at our house--why not, right?

If you do want them, I'd buy them for yourself. I think it's kind of a personal thing to buy for someone else unless you know them well or it's an inherited gift. I wouldn't purchase and engrave toasting flutes for a friend getting married, for example, because I don't know their tastes or what they'd want it to say.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_toasting-glassesknife?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:8ffc1bb0-2c1b-463f-9cae-66ac3f724d81Post:dda7a129-86f0-4e50-abbd-2b2472290a5a">Re: Toasting Glasses/Knife</a>:
    [QUOTE]the caterer or rental company Special ones are a meaningless detail, IMO
    Posted by ElisabethJoanne[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Our venue provided toasting glasses and knife for cutting the cake.  The added bonus?  The bride, groom or designated friend doesn't have to keep up with those items.
  • We bought our toasting flutes just after getting engaged, in a market in Mexico City, where my fiancé is from. They are really beautiful etched glass, and they will remind us of the first time both our families met! 
  • We used what the venue provided.
  • We rec'd ours as engagement presents.  FI's family likes to buy Lenox...
  • We got ours at our bridal shower.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think you can definitely skip buying special ones, but if you really want them you just buy them yourself.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we have ones picked out that are 175 for the set of 2, they are waterford. They are just something we "have to have" so we are planning to buy them ourselves, but if someone in either family wants to buy us something for the wedding we will let them, but if not we are budgeted to buy them.
  • I actually purchased them myself. I went to Savers and bought the flutes for $.99 cents each and the cake knife and server for $1.99. I plan on doing a little DIY and wrapped the Flute stems and utensil handles with beaded wire like I had seen in the Michaels Book of Wedding Crafts. The cake knife and server were good quality silver, I'll just polish them up a little.

I've also seen the same things done on etsy... I'm just not going to pay that much when I could do it myself.

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade?q=beaded%20cake%20knife%20and%20server&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0&search_submit=
  • We are using the venue that we have our reception booked at...I dont foresee us using either one again
    Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week
  • My mom offered up the knife from my parents' wedding, which we are glad to use.  It makes my mom happy, and we don't have to buy a huge cake knife we will never use again.  We are just going to use the glasses the venue provides.  We are buying so many things for the wedding that I don't feel it necessary to buy one more thing we won't use again.  Just a thought.
  • We received a gorgeous set of non-personalized, non-wedding-themed Waterford champagne flutes as an engagement gift from my best friend's mom. I wouldn't have bought wedding-specific ones, but we can use these for special events forever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards