Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Post reception transportation

I know its shown in the movies and many lovely photos that the bride and groom leave in a beautiful white stretch limo, etc. We are looking at our budget and as we (bride and groom) are paying for our wedding, the honeymoon, and we have a baby due 4 months after the wedding, we are being a bit conscientious of our finances. Is it a must to leave in a chauffeured vehicle? I dont necessarily want to drive away in our car, it just seems so unceremonious, but it also seems wise financially. What is commonly done? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Re: Post reception transportation

• No, it isn't a must.  What transportation you use is up to you.  If you want to do a limo or have a "Just Married" sign with balloons, ribbons, etc. tied to your car, then do whatever floats your boat.
  • It's not required. If it's not in the finances to get a limo but you want to feel special, do you or someone you know have a nice four door vehicle where maybe the best man also act as the driver for you?
  • I wanted a fancy car too, but it's not in the budget for us either. So I think we are just driving my car. I had to look at the big picture, and in the grand scheme of things it wasn't one of my priorities. I would rather spend money on making the reception nice than spend lots of money on a car that people will only see for a little bit. Plus it worked out better for us to drive my car anyway, since we will need a car to drive home when we come back from our honeymoon. 
  • We had a town car pick us up for $60. It suited our needs just fine.  The only reason I even called a service is because we had a St. Patty's day wedding and a lot of drinking was involved.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We didn't do a grand exit because I wanted to stay until the very last minute of our reception. H drove us away in our rental car (wedding was in H's hometown so we had to travel and rented a car for the week). Nothing fancy.

I honestly can't think of what kind of vehicle the bride and groom left in for any of the weddings I have attended. Which tells you how much your guests will remember these things.
  • Personally, I dig the old fashioned "decorated car" thing, with the stuff all over it. I think it's sorta cute.

And I'm sure your car would be fine, but if someone else has a car you think is nicer/larger, you could always ask to borrow it for your getaway, depending on logistics (getting it back to them, etc.)
  • We hired a bus to shuttle people between the ceremont and the reception then between the reception and the hotels. At the end of the night, we got on the bus with the rest of our remaining guests.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    If you want a car and driver, ask about a sedan.  Rates are lower and hourly minimum is less.  But it really doesn't matter what you leave in.

For what it's worth, there is nothing more uncomfortable than riding in a stretch limo.
  • We just used our own car (decorated by the groomsmen. We were also only traveling two blocks to the hotel. I would skip the fancy transportation.
  • It certainly isn't a must.  DH drove us off in his truck.

I have only seen the B and G head off in a limo at one wedding out of the six or seven I've attended.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_post-reception-transportation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:910a14ed-3dae-4613-a722-20ebdc3738bbPost:2faaa73b-8a63-49d9-a828-d825f65e3b7d">Post reception transportation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know its shown in the movies and many lovely photos that the bride and groom leave in a beautiful white stretch limo, etc. We are looking at our budget and as we (bride and groom) are paying for our wedding, the honeymoon, and we have a baby due 4 months after the wedding, we are being a bit conscientious of our finances. Is it a must to leave in a chauffeured vehicle? I dont necessarily want to drive away in our car, it just seems so unceremonious, but it also seems wise financially. What is commonly done? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Posted by qtcowgirl[/QUOTE]

It's what you want. We are not having limos, we don't want to pay for them. IMO they are a waste. I am driving myself to the wedding. Why should I pay someone to do something I can do for free.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_post-reception-transportation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:910a14ed-3dae-4613-a722-20ebdc3738bbPost:2faaa73b-8a63-49d9-a828-d825f65e3b7d">Post reception transportation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know its shown in the movies and many lovely photos that the bride and groom leave in a beautiful white stretch limo, etc. We are looking at our budget and as we (bride and groom) are paying for our wedding, the honeymoon, and we have a baby due 4 months after the wedding, we are being a bit conscientious of our finances. Is it a must to leave in a chauffeured vehicle? I dont necessarily want to drive away in our car, it just seems so unceremonious, but it also seems wise financially. What is commonly done? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Posted by qtcowgirl[/QUOTE]

<div>It's not a must to leave in a chauffered vehicle but if both of you are drinking- you'll need a cab (or town car!) unless you have a DD?</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards