Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Changing Last Name

I'm curious how anyone who changed their last name handled the change. I am dreading the hassle- getting a new SS card, license, changing my name at work, on all of my credit cards, even Facebook, my e-mail address, and Twitter username (all have my current last name, lol!). Is it as bad as it sounds?  

Re: Changing Last Name

• Options
    I went to the DMV, then the SS office. Once that was done I went to the bank.  FB is just the touch of a button, make a new email address and twitter handle or just use the old ones because you can't change them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In California, you have to change your name with the ss office first, then wait 24 hours for dmv records to update, then you can change it there. Almost everything else can be changed over the phone. It wasn't that hard.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm in Canada (Ontario) but I just went to all the different places with my marriage certificate - bank (took 5 minutes), passport and social insurance card (same place), health card and driver's licence (same place), school (the grad office handled all my school-related name changes - the registrar, union, health insurance), whatever. It's a lot of stops but as long as you have the proper documentation in hand, it's not a problem. It's really not complicated. You don't have to go to all those places that same day.

• Options
    I was done in two days. SS office first, then DMV, then bank. The rest I was able to do from home (CCs, etc).
  • Options

Every state is different with the Social Security and DMV...so definitely ask around. In WI, we have to have our name legally changed at SS before the DMV will do any drivers licenses or records.

After my name was legally changed and I had official copies of my marriage certificate, I was able to change everything else in a day. Credit cards/insurance/mortgage/banks.

For email, you can auto-forward your old email directly to your new email address and the transition is easier. Facebook was the fun/easy part for me! Twitter, I just kept my original username.

The hardest part was work, because I obviously didn't send marriage/name change announcements to my entire (nationwide) company! It took about 3 months to have everyone at work used to my new name.

• Options
    In NJ all you need is our old DL and your ML to change your name.

• Options
    I need to stop slacking and finish changing everything over to my married name.  I still have my accounts at one bank, my credit card, and my passport to switch.  None of it really takes very long or is overly complicated. . . . I just keep forgetting to take my marriage license with me to the bank
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_changing-last-name-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:92a6ff30-46a7-4254-a69e-c671126775ffPost:3e6217f3-773e-45c1-bdd4-d557311288c8">Re: Changing Last Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In NJ all you need is our old DL and your ML to change your name.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

Good to know!  I just did SS first because I thought I needed it to do the DMV.  I guess I'll do DMV this weekend.  :D
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_changing-last-name-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:92a6ff30-46a7-4254-a69e-c671126775ffPost:f8f19c5a-ff88-4bd4-a994-6b069c2b1e3d">Re: Changing Last Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Changing Last Name : Good to know!  I just did SS first because I thought I needed it to do the DMV.  I guess I'll do DMV this weekend.  :D
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

Yes because both of these fulfill the 6 point system.

• Options
    how about this one he is taking my name. from michigan

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards