Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Interfaith ceremony: traditions needed...

Hi all,So... my fiance and I come from different religious backgrounds - he comes from a Catholic family, and I come from a Jewish family. This being said, he and I are both non-religious, and believe in the basic fundamentals of life: treat someone as you want to be treated, do good things whenever you can, and trust there is a higher power.Our families have both been very accepting of each of us into their lives - everyone loves everyone. (ahh the beginning stages...lol)But - OY VEY - (lol) the ceremony has taken a life of its own. We're trying to combine the customs and traditions from EACH side to help offer the balance we are looking for, so neither family feels left out. We have a Justice of the Peace, and plan on doing both the 'breaking of the glass' and the 'Unity Candle'. I would like to have an even mix of things without offending anyone. (His family is much more religious than mine...) His parents go to Mass every Sunday - and are definitely much more religious than my parents the 'Holiday Jews'. ...So having something big like a huppah I think is out of the question. Can anyone offer some cultural traditions (big or small!) for either side? I'm having a tough time balancing the two...Thanks for any thoughts...

Re: Interfaith ceremony: traditions needed...

• Options
    I am christian and FI is Jewish we will have both my preacher and a Rabbi. When his (Jweish) brother married a Catholic woman, they had prepared for both a Rabbi and a Priest to do a joint ceremony. But the Priest BAILED!!! literally 10 minutes before the ceremony saying that he "had another wedding to get to" obviously that wasn't true, I think that he didn't realize the extent of Jewish traditions that would be present, (Huppah, Yamikas on the males, etc.) We all think he decided not to do the wedding because he wasn't comfortable. It was awful! but the wedding turned out awsome the Rabbi really handled it well and was great! I can't offer any advice on traditions but PLEASE make sure that your officiant(s) are completely comfortable with the mixed-religion aspect!!! GL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards