Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Veil during first dance?

I am wearing a cathedral length veil which I assumed I would take off after I left the church. Today my seamstress and my mom were shocked when I said that. They think the veil should be worn for the first dance. I think dancing with a cathedral length veil will be impossible. 

Is it traditional to wear the veil during the first dance? Did any of you do that?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Veil during first dance?

• Up to you.  If you end up wearing it, you may have to coach your groom a little to make sure you don't rotate too much.  The train of your dress will follow you if it's not bustled yet, but since veils are a lot lighter, I think you have a greater chance of getting tangled.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My seamstress showed me how to "bussle" my cathedral length view using a hat pin.  It's awesome!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You could definitely bustle it if you want to wear it for the dance, but it's not a must.  I ended up wearing my fingertip length veil all night.  It wasn't bothering me, and I knew I'd never get another chance to wear it.
  • I ditched my fingertip veil right after we finished pictures. It was pulling at my hair and trying to fall out all day -- I was ready to be done with it.

I voted that it's up to you, because it is. Really, no one will really notice or care when or if you take your veil off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know if it's regional or not, but I've never been to a wedding where the bride kept the veil on for any portion of the reception, especially the dance.

I had a chapel length veil and I took it off as soon as we were done with pictures.
    Anniversary
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I would not wear the cathedral veil during the first dance or anything after the church.  1st it will be stepped on and 2nd it will look weird.  I'm not so sure about the "bustling" the veil thing...sounds like an extra thing to do...just take it off.  Remember your mom and seamstress are from a time when a bride also wore a blusher.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • My veil is elbow length and I plan on keeping it on until we start eating at least, but possibly the whole time, depending on how it feels. With yours, if you decide to wear it, I definitely recommend pinning it up, just so your FI or you, don't trip over it or pull your hair out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Keep in mind, some brides don't wear veils at all these days! Don't feel bad about wanting to take it off - my mother is older than most mothers of girls my age and she seems shocked at a lot of little "modern" things I want to do, but at the end of the day it's my wedding, not hers. 
    I'm still toying with the idea of keeping my cathedral veil on for some of the reception. I'd like to see a pic of this veil bustling, I've never heard of that! I may do that because part of me wants to keep it on at least for the iconic pictures such as first dance and cake cutting. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards