Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Garter toss alternative?

My fiance and I have decided that we do not want to do a garter removal/toss at the reception.  We are both rather modest and don't like the idea of having all our friends and family watch while he goes up my dress.
However, I will be tossing my bouquet, and I feel like guys will then expect there to be a garter toss afterward.  Do we just have the DJ announce that there won't be a garter toss?  Or is there some fun, but not too cheesey, alternative to the garter toss?  Do guys even really care about catching the garter?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Garter toss alternative?

• Options
    Just do the bouquet toss and skip the garter toss. You don't need to make an announcement, etc. Simply don't do it...nobody will care.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    If you skip it nobody will care, I wouldn't make an announcement.

• Options
    I think its common to skip it.
  • Options
    Its becoming quite common to not do the garter toss or sometimes neither.
  • Options
    You don't have to announce it, just don't do it.  I didn't have a garter toss and there was no announcement.  It's not that big of a deal.  No one will even care.
  • Options
    Doin't worry about it.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    im tossing a small bouquet and we're skipping the garter toss as well.
    too many older family members will be at our wedding and id be so uncomfortable w/ my FI removing the garter...talk about a red face!!!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    You and FI can take a little break during the reception in another room and just relax for a bit. He can take it off there and have it in his pocket to throw when the time comes.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    Similarly, I was in a wedding were the bride slipped into the bathroom to take off the garter and gave it to her husband quietly after that.  She tossed the bouquet, then he stepped onto the dance floor and simply pulled the garter out of his pocket and tossed it.

Honestly, though, if you don't want to toss things, skip either the garter or the bouquet or both. I'm probably skipping both.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard at some weddings, instead of the bouquet/garter toss, the bride and groom give them to the couple at the reception that has been married the longest.  I think that is a nice gesture, and I agree with PP, just take your garter off yourself and hand it to your Hubby, if you do not wanting him to remove it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We completely skipped the tosses all together, but I've been to quite a few weddings where only the bouquet was thrown. You don't need to announce it, people get the hint as soon as the bouquet gets caught and the DJ doesn't announce for the guys to line up.

Also, I've seen it done where the groom just keeps the garter in his pocket or something where the bride just isn't wearing it, so it doesn't need to be removed pre-toss.

And no, the guys won't miss it if you decide against doing one.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    We had two brides, two bouquets, and two garters.  None of these got tossed.  (That was just as well in the case of the two brides!)  We didn't make an announcement, and no one complained.

Although I did like the response of one bride when she was asked why there was going to be no garter toss.  She responded, "I'm not a fan of flying underwear at weddings."
  • Options
    I didn't want to do a bouquet toss or a garter toss at our wedding, so what we are doing instead is a candy toss for the "kids and kids at heart."  I am going to get something pretty like a vase or bouquet holder/collar, and he is going to have a large beer mug that we will fill with candy.  Then, we will both stand up there at the same time and toss them together.  We're actually very excited about it!  We think it will be fun, lighthearted, and take away the embarrassment that both of those outdated traditions can bring (for both me and the guests).  
    Do it however you want - it's your wedding, and no one will miss it if you don't do them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards