Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Receiving line?

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the planning, but my FI is super helpful!

Anyway, my wedding guests will consist of 90% family. Do I have to do a receiving line?  Is it rude if I don't? My bridal party only consists of the best man, maid of honor, one bridesmaid, and two flower girls.  Are there others out there that are not doing one?? HELP!

Re: Receiving line?

• Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the planning, but my FI is super helpful!

Anyway, my wedding guests will consist of 90% family. Do I have to do a receiving line?  Is it rude if I don't? My bridal party only consists of the best man, maid of honor, one bridesmaid, and two flower girls.  Are there others out there that are not doing one?? HELP!
  • We did a combo of table visits and greeting everyone during the cocktail hour.  We did pictures beforehand because we knew wanted to enjoy the cocktail hour.  It gave us a great opportunity to see everyone and then we caught those folks we didn't see during that with table visits.

Though I don't think we did them together - we sort of both went our separate ways and talked to everybody at different times.  Perhaps a bit unorthodox, but it's also what we always do at parties.

• I'm staying away from this thread, lol. I don't think it needs to be done, honestly, but I've already been told I'm wrong.

Do what you want. I wouldn't think it was rude if a B & G didn't personally thank me but you have to know your guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You chase every thread I comment in and then post stupid and sometimes downright mean things.

Honestly you need a hobby. There's a whole world outside of The Knot, I promise.

:)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_receiving-line-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a30c1f71-07dd-4bd4-a678-a1ccf3074fdbPost:d82efbaf-f42d-4097-955e-9de71e9a3d55">Re: Receiving line?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You chase every thread I comment in and then post stupid and sometimes downright mean things. Honestly you need a hobby. There's a whole world outside of The Knot, I promise. :)
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

<div>lordalmighty, again? I thought after this weekend they'd leave you alone for a bit, Stage. If you've been told you're wrong on an etiquette board about this very topic before, why on earth would you blurt out your opinion followed with 'But everyone else always says I'm wrong! Tee hee!'. Unecessary, and I think that you're the one being rude.</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  •  I am definitely not a traditional bride, however, social etiquette dominates that you thank whoever you invite to your event. I have no problem with that. Some of my guests will be flying all the way across the US and reserving their own hotel rooms just to see me tie the knot, the least I could do is walk up to them and thank them! 
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • The only things you HAVE to do concerning your wedding are those that are required by law. 

That said, since you posted this in the customs & traditions forum, you understand that there is precedent for having one.  Even though your guest list is 90% family, they still want to see & speak to you.  Having this line assures that you won't inadvertantly miss someone.  Your parents will be in the line with your attendants.  Perhaps they like the tradition & would feel left out if you didn't have one. 
  • In Response to Re:Receiving line?:[QUOTE]You chase every thread I comment in and then post stupid and sometimes downright mean things. Honestly you need a hobby. There's a whole world outside of The Knot, I promise.: Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

Newsflash, Stage posts on most every thread. You aren't near as special as you apparently think you are. She isn't your papparazzi, and you aren't Beyonce.

As far as the OP's question; yes do everything in your power to personally thank guests at your event. The most organized and expedient way to do this is via receiving line. If that is logistically unfeasible, then just circulate at the reception tables. Be prepared for lots if hugs; taking off your veil will be a blessing to your neck.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_receiving-line-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a30c1f71-07dd-4bd4-a678-a1ccf3074fdbPost:97b752b6-4455-409b-bac0-36b79f2b043f">Receiving line?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! This is my first post on here. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the planning, but my FI is super helpful! Anyway, my wedding guests will consist of 90% family. Do I have to do a receiving line?  Is it rude if I don't? My bridal party only consists of the best man, maid of honor, one bridesmaid, and two flower girls.  Are there others out there that are not doing one?? HELP!
    Posted by StephnRy0812[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it's a good idea to have a receiving line in order to personally thank everyone for coming.  Also, since it's mostly your family it's a good change to introduce your new husband to anyone who hasn't had a chance to meet him.</div>
  • Etiquette requires you to greet your guests, but that doesn't have to be done in a receiving line.  Going to each table with your FI to do it is a totally acceptable option.  Also, if you do a receiving line, the other wedding party members don't have to be in it.  The two of you and your parents will suffice.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Guests should be greeted.

I've seen it done a few ways- B&G waited outside of the church and thanked guests as they filtered out,  B&G were waiting at just inside the reception venue and thanked guests as they came in, or B&G go around during the cocktail hour or dinner. 

I think FI and I will do it after the ceremony/ as the cocktail hour starts, just due to the timing and flow of the wedding. 
  • Thank you everyone for the posts that weren't snarky! This is a big help, and I think it will help me to decide when I want to greet everyone, I just was unsure what other people thought about the reciving line itself.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_receiving-line-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a30c1f71-07dd-4bd4-a678-a1ccf3074fdbPost:97b752b6-4455-409b-bac0-36b79f2b043f">Receiving line?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! This is my first post on here. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the planning, but my FI is super helpful! Anyway, my wedding guests will consist of 90% family. Do I have to do a receiving line?  Is it rude if I don't? My bridal party only consists of the best man, maid of honor, one bridesmaid, and two flower girls.  Are there others out there that are not doing one?? HELP!
    Posted by StephnRy0812[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We are not having a receiving line. 

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I think I am going to just ask my FI what he wants to do.. Seeing as I can't decide if I want to do the reciving line or thank everyone during dinner.. I am pretty sure he will say he wants the reciving line though becuse he is going to want to eat, but I think I will be too scared to eat seeing as I am messy at the worst possible times!
  • We had an outdoor lunch reception. To me recieving lines are very formal. So we ended up visiting tables but  mostly by ourselves, not as a couple. The guests were mostly my friends. Only problem for me was i did not get to spend much time talking to the table of his family. Most weddings I have been to do not have receiving lines. It may depend on what is customary in your area.
  • Guests should be thanked regardless of if they are family or not. FI and I have debated about doing it at the reception or having a receiving line. We have settled on the receiving line because there is only one set of exit doors from the church so we can catch everyone!

My favorite receiving line thing was at a friends wedding! She and her hubby ushered everybody out of their seats row by row. It took time but it allowed them to greet everyone and have their elderly relatives stay seated instead of waiting on a line
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards