Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

A way to honor your deceased parents?

hi all,

does anyone have any ideas on how to honor my parents at my wedding? they both passed away and I would like to do something to honor them.

any ideas? 

im gettng married on the beach!

Re: A way to honor your deceased parents?

• ive seen thison pinterest. They have your bouquets wrapped with the colors of your wedding then they have these small little picture frame holders that you can clip to the ribbon and you can put as many as you want and then add the pictures and they kinda dangle/hang from the ribbon on your bouquet.

• ^I'm doing something similar -- I'll have a little locket that my florist will attach to my bouquet that will have a picture of me and my dad in it. Outside of that we won't be doing anything special; it's a happy occasion, not a memorial, and I don't want to upset anyone. I like the idea of having just a little something for me.
    Lizzie
  • I like your locket idea.  I was trying to think of a way to have my daddy with me on my special day.
  • How about having their wedding picture at the reception?  

I agree it's a happy occasion and although they will be on your mind no matter what you don't want to be a memorial.  

My brother died when I was 16, he was in the prayer of the faithful and then we did pictures of the guests in the guest book and he was in those pictures.  Otherwise nothing sad.  Until people brought up how sad they were that he wasn't there.  People are stupid.
  • Whatever you decide to do, make it subtle.  Make it so you feel like you have them there with you that day, but not in a way that makes it totally completely obvious they are not.  Meaning, no empty chairs, no memorial photos and candles.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • We are putting pictures of our grandparents on their wedding days at the reception on the cake table.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2013 brides December 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaids Dress
  • I was given a locket with pictures of my mom as a wedding shower gift. I am wearing that. I also am using a digital picture frame with a few pictures of my mom and our grandparents to sit on a small table with some candles and a few loose flower petals.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree that whatever you do should be subtle, because weddings are a happy occassion, not a memorial service.  And I certainly didn't want to do anything that would make me cry!  Our programs were one sheet of paper folded in half, so on the back side I wrote "In Memory" and underneath had one sentence mentioning my mom and how much she was missed.  We had wedding photos of family members at our reception and pictures of her and my dad were included with that display, as they would have been if she had been still alive.
  • i am wearing a locket that my dad gave my mom as a gift when they first stated dating...  my dad passed away.
    it is also my.. something blue, something old, something borrowed....
  • you could mix in flowers from your parents wedding into your bouquet. That way it symbolizes you and who you are today as well as gives a piece of them to keep with you.
  • We are having a picture of my FI father and mother on the cake table with my mom and dad's pic.

His dad passed away suddenly a few years ago and he hasn't been able to find a way to incorporate his hero into his big day. At least with the pics it won't be an overly sad occassion since all our parents' pics will be there. It will be nice for him to look to the left and see his dad there smiling.
    Vacation White Knot
  • We had a picture of both of our parents weddings on our head table. I also wore a locket in memory of my dad.

• I've been thinking of this myself since both of my parents have passed recently. I think I've decided on doing a small table or even on the head table with two candles for them both.
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
  • PatgdPatgd member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In my case it is my Mom who I want to honour and, originally, I had thought of putting a framed photo of her on the gift table at the reception.  I may still do that but I've come up with something a tad more personal.  I am going to wear her veil instead of having a veil that might suit my dress a bit better and I am going to incorporate a part of what her wedding bouquet was into my bouquet.  My mom's bouquet was Pink Sweetheart Roses and I want white roses in mine but I will be adding one pink sweetheart rose into the mixture as well.

The other thing, and this is a bit more obvious to our guests, is that our kissing game will be the charity game.  For every $1 a person donates that equates to 1 second of a kiss.  The money we raise from that will go towards a cancer related charity as both my fiance and I have lost family members to this horrible disease.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards