Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

A potentially silly garter question

Hi everybody, another bouquet and garter question here...

Thanks in large part to the sage advice I have read here, we have decided to skip the garter toss and probably do some sort of substitute bouquet toss with a "prize" on it.  My question is, for those of you that also skipped the garter toss, did you still get a garter?  Was it something you wanted as a keepsake?  Does it serve some sort of important function that just isn't apparent to me yet?  They aren't outrageously expensive, and I've seen some that I like on etsy, but I also wouldn't mind saving the $30 for something else.  TIA!

edited for spelling

Re: A potentially silly garter question

• Options
    You don't need it- up to you. If you are creative enough, you can even make one.

I might use one as my something blue. We aren't doing the garter toss either. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I made mine (Yes, I'm 15 months out, but I already had the supplies. I decided it would be the first thing I did for my wedding). I crocheted it and threaded a ribbon and elastic through. The supplies cost me $6 and I have already made many other things with them, so it really cost me even less. It also only took me about 2 hours tops. We are absolutely not doing a garter toss, but it's my something blue and FI can take it off later. I really want one, but it's totally up to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't get a garter because I didn't want one. But a majority of the girls on my month board got them, even if they weren't tossing them. I would say about a third of them ordered them from etsy sellers for less than 20.
  • Options
    Interesting opinions everybody, thanks! Stage, yours sounds so sweet. I'd love to end up with one that has sentimental meaning like that. Assuming I'm not gifted one, I'll see how I'm feeling closer to the wedding.
  • Options
    I'm wearing stockings, so I will most likely actually have 2 garters. So, yes I will have garters, but I'm not tossing them!
  • Options
    I got mine off of etsy with a greenbay packers theme.  My husband had no idea, but I alerted my photographer about it, so we got a really cute photo of his shock when he looked at it.

Ignore my cackle-face pls :P
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_a-potentially-silly-garter-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a95aab69-b108-4788-a478-80c7a954b818Post:a64619aa-2f0b-4922-9358-13686dc8aff6">A potentially silly garter question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everybody, another bouquet and garter question here... Thanks in large part to the sage advice I have read here, we have decided to skip the garter toss and probably do some sort of substitute bouquet toss with a "prize" on it.  My question is, for those of you that also skipped the garter toss, did you still get  a garter?  Was it something you wanted as a keepsake?  Does it serve some sort of important function that just isn't apparent to me yet?  They aren't outrageously expensive, and I've seen some that I like on etsy, but I also wouldn't mind saving the $30 for something else.  TIA! edited for spelling
    Posted by Xstatic3333[/QUOTE]

A garter comes with my dress but I might decline it and make one out of this kermit material that I have...just so that I have something Kermit in my wedding.  I have a keepsake box of things from the day that i'll keep like my bouquet, a bout, invite, candle etc in and I'll throw that in there just because it's very me.
  • Options
    I think this thread is having the unintended effect of making me want a garter. I love all of these fun ideas!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_a-potentially-silly-garter-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a95aab69-b108-4788-a478-80c7a954b818Post:706de7a6-ab26-4746-89b8-60c012c4a80d">Re: A potentially silly garter question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got mine off of etsy with a greenbay packers theme.  My husband had no idea, but I alerted my photographer about it, so we got a really cute photo of his shock when he looked at it. Ignore my cackle-face pls :P
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

<div>Pele that picture is fantastic! I love pictures of people in the middle of a good laugh :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm planning on getting Toronto Blue Jays garter because FI will be so excited, haha.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    ZiggyZosZiggyZos member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I bought a cheap one at Hobby Lobby and my H's SIL was kind enough to sew in a teal ribbon that matched the BM's sashes (and MOH's dress). I bought a second cheap white one at Hobby Lobby that was our toss garter. I wanted a keepsake for the shadowbox I'm making, so I would have had one regardless. H really wanted to do the toss, though. Side note: H's cousin, who has Downs Syndrome, "caught" the garter after one of H's friends batted it out of the air. Said friend, along with a groomsman, hoisted H's cousin onto their shoulders, garter in hand. Our photog got some really great shots of it, and it apparently made his night... he packed it in his suitcase and took it home with him (much to his mother's chagrin).
  • Options
    coopsbabycoopsbaby member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2013
    We're not tossing, but fi really likes the thought of me wearing a garter. I Made mine for just a few dollars with a Dallas Cowboys theme as a surprise for him.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I don't really "get" garters. 
  • Options
    I did not buy a garter.  There was no garter toss.  No one noticed nor cared.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:A potentially silly garter question:[QUOTE]I got mine off of etsy with a greenbay packers theme. nbsp;My husband had no idea, but I alerted my photographer about it, so we got a really cute photo of his shock when he looked at it.Ignore my cackleface pls :P Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

Pele, where did you get the Packers one? My FH and I are diehard Packer fans. I would have gone with green and gold for my colors and the guys with Packer ties but FH wanted Royal Purple.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_a-potentially-silly-garter-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:a95aab69-b108-4788-a478-80c7a954b818Post:a64619aa-2f0b-4922-9358-13686dc8aff6">A potentially silly garter question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everybody, another bouquet and garter question here... Thanks in large part to the sage advice I have read here, we have decided to skip the garter toss and probably do some sort of substitute bouquet toss with a "prize" on it.  My question is, for those of you that also skipped the garter toss, did you still get  a garter?  Was it something you wanted as a keepsake?  Does it serve some sort of important function that just isn't apparent to me yet?  They aren't outrageously expensive, and I've seen some that I like on etsy, but I also wouldn't mind saving the $30 for something else.  TIA! edited for spelling
    Posted by Xstatic3333[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm not doing the garter toss, and I'm thinking about skipping the garter. Nobody will see it anyway, besides my fiance, and I don't think he'd be impressed enough with it to justify having one. There will be lots of other keepsakes from the wedding day. Might as well save money where you can!

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013

Seriously $30? I bought mine for less than $5 at a party warehous store but I did toss it. At first I was not going to do the bouquet/garter toss. As I hated it when I was single (I married at 49). But my MIL (widowed) wanted to catch it. So I had one. The girl that caught the bouquet was getting married the next month. The guy met someone 6 months later through a volunteer group where we met him. They are getting married soon and the bride told me she is tossing that same gater that he caught at our wedding.

My flowers/bouquet came with a free toss bouquet. So for a handful of change you could buy one just in case you change your mind. But do what you want. It is your wedding.

• Options
    My fiance has decided that he wants all of his groomsmen to wear justice league shirts under their tuxes.  He would be Batman.  My mom was planning on making me a Batman garter to match, but I would like to keep that one, so I'm going to ask for a Wonder Woman one as well for use in pictures and possibly for tossing.  I'm getting married in July, so stockings are so not happening, but the garters are a fun way to add some personality and creatvity - or nerdyness in my case.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards