Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

No Green!!!!

I'm Irish and instead of having a Irish wedding I'm just goin to incorporate some of the tradtions into my wedding. One tradtion however is that is it unlucky for anyone to wear green at a wedding. How do I go about telling the guest that they aren't allowed to wear green and not be rude about it?
~*Future Mrs.Gasperson*~

Re: No Green!!!!

• Options
    I had never heard of this until we started looking into customs in January (and I am 100% Irish)!  There went my pick for a navy and green wedding.

I had a friend whose brother got married in Thailand a couple years ago- and she just happened to ask her brother if a certain color dress was ok, knowing that their customs might be different.   He just politely told her no, xxx color was bad luck for weddings and yyy was good luck.   I agree with others- and just post it on the website.  We aren't as concerned about what our guests wear,   but our immediate families and the bridal party will not be wearing green.  And... I have been to quite a few "green" weddings that went off without a hitch and the couples are more than happily married years and years later :)
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

There is no good way to tell you guests how to dress.  Let them wear green if they want.  You can incorporate all the traditions you want but you shouldn't do it at the expense of being polite.

• Options
    For something that's no more than a superstition, you can't micromanage your guests' attire. 
    What would happen if a guest wore green?  Would they not be allowed to attend the ceremony?
  • Options
    could you do an insert or an extra page on your website about fun facts and customs of an irish wedding, and just maybe make that a bullet point in there??? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards