Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

2 Questions: Wishing Tree & Guest Book

1) What is the wishing tree?  What does it symbolize??  I've been to many weddings but this one is a first for me.  Or maybe I just didn't notice but now looking at venues it gets mentioned a lot.

2) Is it ok to not have a guest book?  What would I do with it when we are done and what's the purpose???  Just seems like a dust collector to me.

Thanks!!!

Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: 2 Questions: Wishing Tree & Guest Book

• Options
    melntaittmelntaitt member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    From what I've gathered a Wishing Tree is an alternative to the guest book - you provide the guests with bits of stationery "leaves" which they write well-wishes on and pin to a tree at the reception. Not to be mistaken for a money tree.

There are other alternatives to guest books - we're using a wedding tree with preprinted leaves for guests to sign and we're framing it and putting it above our television in the main living room. I agree that guest books can be a waste - people sign them and you put it away and maybe never look at it again. Not until a significant anniversary anyway.

If you choose neither, people probably wouldn't even miss it.

::Edited for spelling::
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    dunno about wishing tree, but agree with pp, there are other ways that are not as dull to do a guest book. Lots of people do mixbooks with thier engagment photos and then put it out at the wedding and get people to sign the pages, or get a meaningful home item to get people to sign, or we are putting out scrapbook pages and markers and crayons and asking guests to illustrate thier signature (stick people just fine!). I wouldnt do a traditional guest book, but I would do SOMETHING, guests do like to be rememebred and know thier specific presence was noticed.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    That's a good idea - maybe once I get the engagement photo's I can make a mini guest book with our pictures.  That way the guests still feel appreciated and I have something that I will actually enjoy more. :)

Thanks for your help! 
    Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I had the same concern that a traditional guest book would just gather dust somewhere.  So I came up with the idea of having guests sign a matting that will go around a picture of the city of Pittsburgh (where I'm getting married), and after the wedding we will hang the picture in our home.  Fiance and I both think this idea will go over well with our guests.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I've never heard of a wishing tree.  It is perfectly fine to skip having a guest book.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards