Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

fun ideas for an informal outdoor reception

i have been to a lot of weddings in my 24 years but they all seem the same - stiff. i have purposed in my mind to find ways for my guests to enjoy themselves during my outdor reception but am a wee bit stumped on what to plan. i do have one idea - instead of a traditional bouquet toss i am going to hide my bouquet and have the ladies look for it. any more ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you:)

Re: fun ideas for an informal outdoor reception

• Honestly, adults have fun just eating good food, drinking some drinks, listening to music and socializing with one another. That is fun. Bringing in too many games and activities becomes a little over-the-top and is more reminiscent of a birthday party than a wedding. I would honestly probably skip the hiding the bouquet. Many ladies dread the bouquet toss itself, so being asked to go hunt for it would be even worse.

Trust me. Guests will enjoy themselves without any type of games or activities. And if you did have a game available (like a lawn game off to the side), don't make it seem like a forced or required activity. Just have it sitting there for anyone who wants to partake and don't go overboard.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • thanks:) ah well, so much for tha idea lol. i am a bit offbeat and extremely adhd (so is my man)so its good to receive some grounded advice every once in a while
  • My FI really wants to do the bouquet and garter toss, which I'm not a fan of, so we made a compromise: all ladies, single or taken, will try to catch the bouquet which will have a gift card on it. Same idea goes for the men and garter. This way there's something in it for everyone and it's a little fun. But that's the end of the "games", I just want people to eat, dance, and enjoy themselves.
  • Stick to good food and good music and you'll be fine.  Adults can entertain themselves....they don't need games.  And if I were attending a wedding in nice wedding attire, I wouldn't play bocce ball or badminton or whatever.  It's a wedding, not a birthday party.

• Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_fun-ideas-for-an-informal-outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:b26395a5-4245-4cf7-a322-cb5e58305f0dPost:e20d2501-5726-4f20-87a7-5d519a0e8507">Re: fun ideas for an informal outdoor reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly, adults have fun just eating good food, drinking some drinks, listening to music and socializing with one another. That is fun. Bringing in too many games and activities becomes a little over-the-top and is more reminiscent of a birthday party than a wedding. I would honestly probably skip the hiding the bouquet. <strong>Many ladies dread the bouquet toss itself, so being asked to go hunt for it would be even worse.</strong> Trust me. Guests will enjoy themselves without any type of games or activities. And if you did have a game available (like a lawn game off to the side), don't make it seem like a forced or required activity. Just have it sitting there for anyone who wants to partake and don't go overboard.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  No single ladies will want to hunt for your bouquet.   Maybe if there are a lot of young girls, they would enjoy it, but not adults.</div><div>
    </div><div>We did a more-or-less traditional wedding, but we skipped a LOT of the little traditions (no bouquet or garter toss, no cake, no cake cutting) -- basically we did our first dance, parent dances, then opened up the dance floor and let everyone enjoy themselves.  I might be biased, but I didn't think it was "stiff" at all.  Sometimes less is more, you know?</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • I plan on doing the newlywed game with my fiance and I and 2 volunteer couples. But you really have to play to the sorts of guests you have. Most my guest really like games and aren't fond of dancings so I'm playing up to the sort of activity I thing they'll enjoy. Likewise I'm also doing the bouquet and garter toss and possibly a photo booth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't do anything that is 'mandatory' or organized.  Let everything be optional: like photobooths, outdoor games set up and available to play if someone wants (I love the croquet idea!), etc.  Adults love choices, and HATE being forced to do things. 

For everyone who doesn't want to 'play' during the reception, just have good food, lots of drinks, and dancing.  Lots of people think that's massively fun on it's own (I'm one of them).

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• I'm right along there with you. Too many weddings I've been too are so stiff and the same ol same ol. While I love the people I'm there to see, there's only so many cheesy wedding songs (YMCA anyone?) that one can dance too. I am having a photobooth, croquet, bean bag toss and ladder golf (saw the idea on pinterest for the last two but I'm not 100%). I love the newlywed shoe game and plan on also having the garter and bouquet toss. Since we're having an August late afternoon/evening wedding, we have a fire pit that will get going around dusk for smores. Everything is optional, there will still be a dance floor and great food. I am also doing little coloring packets and bubbles for the kids. I know it sounds like a lot but I want people to enjoy themselves and stay awhile instead of leaving as soon as they have a full belly of cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the idea of the shoe game.

Each of you has one of each shoe, his and hers, and you sit back to back.  Someone announces statements, like "the neat freak, the one who loves football more, etc" and each of you holds up the shoe of who you feel it applies to.  I don't know if we'll be doing it or not, but it seems kinda fun.  It depends on how close to you both your guests are, though.  If there are people who hardly know him or hardly know you, they'll be bored.  We've been together for 5 years, so there won't be a person there who doesn't know us both well.

http://www.rebekahhoyt.com/blog/2012/2/21/wedding-inspiration-the-shoe-game.html
  • for the boquet have you thought of tossing it with a mroe widely wanted adult theme like lottery tickets or money in it? gets more people interested than the traditional "next to be married" What type of outdoor location? I would try to plan a bit based on the type of location.  there are a lot of fun things that you can do. I recomend an event that doesnt require a large group and can be done at differnt times of the event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards