Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Italian Wedding Cookie dance, anyone ever heard of it? or done it?

saw it on http://italianweddings101.blogspot.com but I've never run across it before if anyone has ever been to a wedding where it was done I'd love some input.  TY!

Re: Italian Wedding Cookie dance, anyone ever heard of it? or done it?

• half of my dads family is italian so naturally those wedding cookies have been at their weddings.  quite tasty too!
    we're not having them at our wedding just becuase we're not doing any other dessert besides the wedding cake to help keep costs down.

imageAnniversary
  • My mother's family is Florentine, so I've been to a couple of weddings where this was done.

Basically, Italian weddings usually have a table with a "cake" made out of a pile of cookies. The cookie dance is essentially a conga-line, and the couple dance with their guests around the room. The dance ends at the cookie table with everyone receiving their dessert.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • I've never seen the dance itself, but we will be passing Italian cookies at our wedding. It is tradition in my FI family for us to personally pass the cookies, and it gives us an opportunity to go around and speak with all of our guests.
  • I'm from Rome. There is no such thing as dancing around a table (or any other dancing of this sort for that matter) and cakes made out of cookies in our wedding traditions. In my life I haven't heard of or seen almost any of the things that are labelled "Italian" over here. Like that recent movie, with that blonde, during which the bride breaks a pot and counts the pieces...  that's made up too, it's not ours.
    It could be that that particular kind of cookie is traditional of a province or a town, say Buoncovento for example, so it would be common to see it at weddings, but even in that case it wouldn't be an italian wedding tradition, only a local thing.
    There aren't many things that distinguish our wedding traditions from the american ones. For instance, we don;t have the garter toss, and the something old, new, borrowed and blue, we also don't have such elaborate rules for the bridal party (like bridesmaids' dresses ect...) and I don't think we require so much of the maid of honour, as far as responsibilities are concerned.
    Feel free to ask if you wish!
    I'm sorry, I hope I haven't disappointed you...
  • We are a northwestern PA Italian family.  I always thought the cookies  were just our family thing because I didn't see them at weddings after we moved.  We NEVER dancing to the cookies.  Frankly, there was a line at the cookie table from the minute the doors opened.  Our family bakes a zillion cookies and puts them along tables for everyone to eat whenever they want.  At one wedding, they were in their own room. Yes-we take our cookies seriously :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards