Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

First Dance before or after dinner?

Hi ladies,
I'm still debating but wanted to see your input on this:
Are you having your first dance right after your entrance (before guests sit down for dinner) or are you having after dinner and maybe after cake cutting? I can't decide which one would be better...
Anniversary Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: First Dance before or after dinner?

• Hello,

My fiance and I are also contemplating on this. I think we may just dance before meal so that our stomach would be in good situation, lol!

• Before! The first dance opens up the floor for your guests. Let the party get started.
  • We had the first dance as soon as we came into the reception room.  I'm glad we opened up the dance floor right away.  Our band was awesome and guests were up and dancing between courses (plated soup, plated salad, buffet entree).  We did the parent dances later on.  
  • We had the first dance as soon as we came into the reception room.  I'm glad we opened up the dance floor right away.  Our band was awesome and guests were up and dancing between courses (plated soup, plated salad, buffet entree).  We did the parent dances later on.  

This. Except I would do parent dances right after so that it doesn't interrupt the flow of the party.
  • We did our first dance first thing, right after we were announced into the reception - then sat down for dinner. 
  • We did ours as soon as we were announced. We then did the parent dances.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Announcement -> First Dance -> Parent Dances -> Toasts -> Dinner. Get it all out of the way so you don't have to interrupt anyones fun later!

• We did ours after we were announced.  We did the parent dances after dinner  as the cake was being served.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was actually wondering the same thing.  I just went to a wedding where everyone was eating and once the bride and groom got done eating they were wanting to dance but they had a computer with no speakers and they could not get people to be quite so they couldn't dance.  I would have been upset I think so that is the way we will g to. 
  • I think this is how we are going to schedule it: Entrance -> First Dance -> Toast -> Dinner -> Parent's Dance
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards