Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Sorority girls?

Any ladies out there in sororities? If so, does your sorority have any tranditions for weddings? Are you going to embrace them at your wedding?

Re: Sorority girls?

• For some people what greek house they belonged to in college is a really important part of the rest of their lives.  For me, I graduated from college more than five years ago.  While I am still great friends with the women I was friends with while in college I felt no need to incorportate my sorority's traditions into my ceremony.

I invited my sisters (the ones I am close to) and we had a blast at the reception together.  It was wonderful having them there.  That was the extent of my sorority's involvement.

• I know of candle passings for engagements, but nothing for weddings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I belonged to an Alpha chapter of a sorority and we have a special song and candle pass that we do at all the weddings.  I have a group of 8 girlfriends and at each wedding we sing the song during the reception.  I am also debating wearing my pin on my dress somewhere, but I'm not sure if I will actually do it. 
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • 3 of my bridal party members, including both my Matron and Maid of honor, are DG sisters. These girls are my rock. I've been out of college 3 years, but I am still highly involved with DG, both in the alumni association and as an adviser to the local chapter in Memphis.

My Big sister is my Matron of Honor. I will put her pin on my bouquet or garter. When she got married, she put mine on her garter. When her other Little got married, she wore our Big's pin on her garter or bouquet(can't remember). Also, at 2 wedding receptions(my Big's and a pledge sister's), the DGs there sang our Dream Girl song, which is quite amusing after some time at the open bar :)

Some people choose to incorporate it, some don't. It really boils down to how important it is to you. For me, I met my best friends through DG, so I plan to incorporate it.
  • I was a XO and we have a song that we sing at weddings. But only one of my sorority sisters will make it to the wedding so unless she wants to sing it alone we'll probably skip - it which is a shame because it was one of my favorite things to do at all the other XO weddings I went too :(
  • I'm a Gamma Phi Beta, and if there are any wedding ceremonies I don't know about them.  We have an engagement ceremony, but other than that I'm not sure.
  • If I had more sisters coming to my wedding we would maybe sing our blessing song before dinner, but I don't want to alientate the non-greeks.  My big and little live on opposite sides of the country and I'm in the midwest so they wont be making it.  Makes me sad but like other girls have said, what was once my WORLD, is now an after thought 5 years out of college... :-(

But I like the idea of putting my pin on the bouquet!
  • OMG ElleTR13 I too am a sister of DG at TTU in Cookeville, TN!!! I have sisters that will be in my wedding and DG's that attended hold hands and make a circle around the bride and sing Dream Girl song at some point during the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards