Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Upswing of the clock?

I was telling my mom that I want to get married in the evening.  Maybe around 5-6pm and have the reception start no later than 5:30-6:30pm.  She told me I should have it later because you want to get married on the "upswing of the clock".  That means my ceremony wouldn't start until after 6:30pm and reception wouldn't start until at least 7pm.  It's later than I wanted and it seems a little too late for dinner.  Has anyone ever heard of this "tradition"?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Upswing of the clock?

• Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes, I have heard of it. IMO, it is one of those old superstitious things that we really didn't pay much attention to bc I am not superstitious.

We got married at 1pm and while my Mom made a stink of it at first, she got over it. I really don't believe in the whole, it is good luck thing to get married when the hands of the clock are going up. My husbands parents got married at 11am and they are still married after 33 years.
  • Options
    Yes, it's something I've heard of and most people have observed my entire life. I honestly think I've been to one wedding that wasn't on the upswing of the clock
  • Options
    I've heard of it.  But like all traditions, it should be observed if it is meaningful to you, and not if it is not.

And of course, it is quite common for weddings to start later than anticipated, because one of the vendors runs late, or something takes longer than anticipated.  So if you plan your wedding for 5:30 and it gets delayed until 6:00, would you really want to wait another half hour so that it would be at 6:30?
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of it before the Knot.  We set our ceremony time as 7:30 because we wanted to have it right before sunset.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    its so funny  that you wrote about this! My mom told me about this as well - she is from Ohio, so I thought it was a midwestern thing, since I have never heard of it nor any of my friends (im from NY) but she is insistant that the wedding start at 230 instead of 2 or 3 because i should walk down the isle as the hands are going up and not down.
    HA!
  • Options
    my mom said this as well but im getting married in jan and wanted to be right at sunset so we had to do it at 5pm by 530 it would be too dark... im not too worried about it
    Jaime Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard of this, but we decided on a 4:30 ceremony start time for no other reason that we liked when that would work out for dinner to be served.  Always thinking with our stomachs.  :)
    Anniversary

PersonalMilestone

Dancin' Shoes
  • Options
    Heard of it and don't care.  We're getting married at 6:00 because we want everyone to enjoy a full day in Philadelphia (OOT wedding for almost every guest) and we want it to still be light out for our outdoor ceremony.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards