Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Help! The walk down the aisle

I have been struggling since getting engaged about who to walk me down the aisle - my parents divorced when I was young - and my mom did most of the raising - however, my dad has still been a part of my life - he has not been the best dad but not the worst either - My mom keeps telling me it should be her to walk me down - and she refuses to walk with me and my dad (I asked that they both do it) her latest excuse is that people will not be able to see me if both of them walk me down the aisle - I want to follow tradition, and I think my dad would be very upset if he did not walk me down the aisle - so someone is going to get hurt (and I am hurt!) I feel like I am fighting a losing battle any suggestions would be great! Thank you!

Re: Help! The walk down the aisle

• What if your dad walked you halfway...and your mom took over in the middle and gave you away? Just a thought.

• If they can't suck it up for a 30-second walk, I'd honestly walk alone. Or at least call your mom's bluff and tell her you're walking alone.
  • Ask her again! Tell her it's your day and you want both of them to do it and if she still refuses to walk you down with your dad too, then she's choosing not to walk you down at all and it will be just your dad. Put your foot down, sister!
  • klwpazklwpaz member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_help-the-walk-down-the-aisle?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:cced1935-4065-413f-8d4b-eb248129cfbbPost:b8ac5f84-cd81-4cfb-8e84-b003c6efa049">Re: Help! The walk down the aisle</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ask her again! Tell her it's your day and you want both of them to do it and if she still refuses to walk you down with your dad too, then she's choosing not to walk you down at all and it will be just your dad. Put your foot down, sister!
    Posted by KaZAM1012[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. They are both your parents, and it seems like adults should be able to put differences aside for 2 minutes for their daughter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you all!! I agree!!! I appreciate it!
  • It is "your" day. Your mother shouldn't have to make you choose and put you in that awkward of a position. I agree that you should offer again all or nothing (but in a nice way with explanation of your feelings), and if she says "no" then that's her decision...
  • jmp2004jmp2004 member
    First Comment
    I've chosen to walk alone because I feel that as a late 20-something, I don't need to be "given away."  I'm an adult and am choosing to enter this commitment.
  • I am in a similar situation. Do you have another relative that you are close with that you would consider?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards