Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Catholic wedding question

Hi girls,

This is my first time posting on this board, and I hope you can help.

For those who have a Catholic ceremony, did you invite the priest who preformed the ceremony to the reception?  I don't know if tradition, or just something people who are close with their priest have done. 

Thanks girls!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Catholic wedding question

• Options
    I am really close with my Priest since my FI started the RCIA program and we meet with him and the Deacon twice a week so I am inviting them both. I would say if you are close to him and want him there than invite him, but I haven't been to a Catholic wedding yet where the Priest was invited to the reception (or at least showed up)
  • Options
    The general rule is that you should invite the priest who is performing your wedding to your reception. Odds are that, unless he is very close to you, he will not attend, because he has other things (like Saturday vigil mass, if you're marrying on a Saturday afternoon) to do.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_catholic-wedding-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:db28907d-552a-4801-b750-7679e09b764aPost:7e12c67f-888b-48b6-a16d-3fc7d4dcd009">Re: Catholic wedding question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The general rule is that you should invite the priest who is performing your wedding to your reception. Odds are that, unless he is very close to you, he will not attend, because he has other things (like Saturday vigil mass, if you're marrying on a Saturday afternoon) to do.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

I agree!  If you have other questions that are specific to Catholicism there is a Catholic Wedding Board under "Cultural Wedding Boards".

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I've been to a lot of Catholic weddings and have seen both.  I am not inviting mine but he is also a last minute fill in who we haven't even met yet.  I think it would be a nice gesture but is not necessary unless you are really close.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    We're inviting both of our priests to our reception.  As I understand it, it's customary.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    We invited ours to both the RD and the reception, and he declined both invites because he was busy.  It is polite to invite him and feed him, just as you are feeding your other vendors.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We invited ours, even though we really don't have a relationship with him.  He declined.
  • Options
    We invited ours to both, the RD and the reception. Both the priest and the deacon came to the RD. (We had both present at our wedding ceremony). As for the reception, he had mass to say after our wedding, so he arrived slightly after the dinner was over. They were saving him a plate in the kitchen and the priest and the deacon ate and then joined some of the festivities.
  • Options
    Good Question...I was wondering the same thing!

We decided we are going to invite our priest although since we have a small Parish, he is the only priest at our church and we are having an earlier reception (4:00) so I doubt he'll be able to make it with Saturday evening Mass
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards