Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

German

does anyone know of any German customs or traditions for weddings?
Future Mrs.Wilber!

Re: German

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2012
    http://blog.weddzilla.com/topics/ceremony/multicultural-bridal-traditons-part-iv-germany/

This thread may answer some of your questions.  It was posted in the Ceremony Ideas wedding board that started on 9-16.....

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_non-religious-german-traditions

You could incorporate the simplest traditions by using some Edelweiss in your decor, or perhaps having some marzipan candy or German chocolate. You might even consider the more stereotypical traditions of Bavarian pretzels or an imported beer or wine served at the cocktail hour. Ein Prosit is a very common toasting song which basically toasts to good health (and, plentiful drinking!).  We had to have Jagermeister behind our bar! Incorporating a waltz or polka into your musical selections is a way to bring in some traditional German music.

While visiting family in Germany, I had an opportunity to witness the plate throwing tradition.  It was lively and a lot of fun.
  • ^Great ideas!
    Lizzie
  • Keep in mind that Germany is a diverse country.  Things will vary based on faith- Catholic or Protestant or some other.  Things that are traditional around Berlin, might not be in Stuttgart or Munich.  The customs of Koln, are not necessarily the customs of Nuremberg.  Unless the traditions have meaning to your families skip them.
  • My fiance and I will be drinking our first drink out of the German Bridal Cup! We also plan on having the "wedding newspaper" handed out at the ceremony, which will be a timeline of our life together. 
  • We are planning on doing the Hoch Laben (if my fiance is willing to participate!). Here's a video of it online:

You're supposed to do it at midnight (we'll probably do it earlier in the evening), and the first song and chair lifting is for when you're still bride and groom (before midnight) and the second song and chair lifting is for your first day as a married couple (just after midnight). Then whoever is carrying the chairs takes the bride and groom to the bar for more drinks :)

I"m excited about it bc i think it's a cute tradition, but my fiance (who is a pretty big guy) isn't thrilled with the idea of 4 of his friends lifting him up in the air on a chair. We'll see! 
    GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards