Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

The After Party

My fiance has never been to a wedding where the bride and groom did not attend an off-site or hotel party after the reception. I'd never been to a wedding where this happens - but it sounds fun if it doesn't last until we have to get on a plane for a our honeymoon.
His groomsmen think it should be in the bridal suite. I'm uncomfortable with that idea - mostly because it would seem awkward to say to any lingering friends "excuse us, wedding night time now - see you later!"
Is it our place to organize something for after the wedding? should we attend? Any thoughts?

Re: The After Party

• Definitely no to the bridal suite.  I'd say either someone else can offer their home/hotel room, or everyone can go to a bar.

As far as organizing, it depends on what you are doing.  If you plan to foot the bill, go ahead and organize away.  If you are thinking of everyone buying their own drinks, just spread that word that you are planning to meet up at such and such bar after the wedding if anyone wants to stop by.  
  • We're going to our local country bar after the reception. 
    The pros are that it is free to go to and everyone is responsible for their own drinks and rides.
  • I went to one where we all went out to a night club after.  It was fine but we were all exhausted and didn't last very long.  Everyone was still dressed for the wedidng, even the bride and groom. 

I went to another where the brides parents rented out space in the hotel restaurant and had appetizers.  It was right next to the hotel bar if anyone wanted to wander over and get a drink.  This was more laid back, everyone had time to change if they wanted after the reception. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The only couple I know that did one of these actually did have it in their bridal suite. Honestly, I found it kind of awkward: cramped and uncomfortable (It was a suite, but they seriously had 20 people come) ... and it was annoying that people kept getting sent out to buy food and booze, because there wasn't any on site. Also, the party started at like 6pm, DH and I bailed at 1am  ... and we were the first to leave. We later found out that there were quite a few people that stayed until almost 5am.

Aside from banning the bridal suite, unless you and your FI are going to pay for this yourselves, do not plan or organize this. I'd just pick a local bar or something and just say "Hey, if you want to come, we'll be here"

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • After our friends' wedding last year, everyone hit up a nearby karaoke bar.  For FSIL's wedding this weekend, FILs had arranged to have the hotel bar where everyone was staying stay open late, and we all congregated there.

No way should it be in the bridal suite.  BUT FSIL's MOH (other FSIL) had some friends/family up to her room, which was where we'd all gotten ready during the day, to drink and party as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards