Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

First Look Question

Hi, ladies.  FI and I are doing a first-look for our wedding in a few weeks but, personally, I don't really like him being turned around, tapping him on the shoulder and then having him turn towards me or the idea of blindfolding him.  Did anyone else do a first-look some other way?  If so, can you share pictures please?  Would walking towards him while his eyes are open be too simple?

Re: First Look Question

• If that is what you both want to do, go for it. I don't see a reason not to.

What we did: We had his back to me while I was walking up. We got some adorable pictures of me walking up behind him and the look on his face while he was waiting. The photographer told him when to turn around. We specifically wanted to get both of our reaction's in the same shot (with us fairly close together). So this worked for us.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:e3c86617-d4cb-42bd-8b63-0c05dcb23fc5Post:4a7b0529-dc18-498e-ac6b-718624fa43cf">Re: First Look Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]If that is what you both want to do, go for it. I don't see a reason not to. What we did: We had his back to me while I was walking up. We got some adorable pictures of me walking up behind him and the look on his face while he was waiting. The photographer told him when to turn around. We specifically wanted to get both of our reaction's in the same shot (with us fairly close together). So this worked for us.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

That's a cute idea.  I think it is the tapping him on the shoulder idea that I'm not liking (and the fact that I'll be so close to him at that point, the photographer wouldn't capture him or I taking each other in fully, if that makes sense).  I like the idea of the photographer telling him when to turn around.
  • The reason we waited until I was close enough to touch him was we wanted the look on both of our faces. If I was farther away we could have only had his reaction or mine.

Talk to your photographer see if he/she has any other ideas. Google first look pics. You can get a ton of ideas that way too.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:e3c86617-d4cb-42bd-8b63-0c05dcb23fc5Post:6ec6b927-3165-44c3-8827-ab99bfc97013">Re: First Look Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The reason we waited until I was close enough to touch him was we wanted the look on both of our faces. If I was farther away we could have only had his reaction or mine</strong>. Talk to your photographer see if he/she has any other ideas. Google first look pics. You can get a ton of ideas that way too.

That makes sense, got it.  We have two photographers in our photography contract (though the second shooter will, I'm sure, be less experienced than the main shooter) so we could do something a little further out.  Our height difference is big (I'm almost a foot shorter than him) so I'd like for those first-look shots to not be just me craning my neck to look at FI.  :) 

Thanks for your suggestions. 
  • staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    With 2 photographers you could do something further out for sure! That could work out really well. H is exactly a foot taller than me so I know how the neck craning thing goes! :D

I'd love to see your first look pics after if you don't mind sharing!

Edited: Took out pics

• Here are 2 of our first look photos.  We did the shoulder tap and it worked for us.  Although you can't tell from the photos our reactions really show on our video.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was thinking of having him at the bottom of the steps in our venue and walking down towards him. 
  • I saw photos on Pinterest of a balloon first look. The bride walks up to the groom holding a bunch of balloons, and when close enough lets them go. And the around the corner first looks are adorable, too. Holding hands at the corner of a building before the look. I would have a hard time choosing.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:e3c86617-d4cb-42bd-8b63-0c05dcb23fc5Post:d7912bd3-6684-4ab9-9711-85bfe3079bf3">Re: First Look Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw photos on Pinterest of a balloon first look. <strong>The bride walks up to the groom holding a bunch of balloons, and when close enough lets them go.</strong> And the around the corner first looks are adorable, too. Holding hands at the corner of a building before the look. I would have a hard time choosing.
    Posted by phillyrabbit[/QUOTE]

This is being really irresponsible to the environment for the sake of a photo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited March 2013
    We basically just walked toward each other.  My photographer's husband (her second shooter) brought my H to a quiet spot at our venue, and then my photographer led me out to him.  She had me stop/wait so she could get in position to take photos, and then I walked toward my H as he was looking at me--I definitely didn't tap him on the shoulder or anything.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:e3c86617-d4cb-42bd-8b63-0c05dcb23fc5Post:e4241cd0-ebea-4438-8b56-68e8491e3ea8">Re: First Look Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]With 2 photographers you could do something further out for sure! That could work out really well. H is exactly a foot taller than me so I know how the neck craning thing goes! :D I'd love to see your first look pics after if you don't mind sharing! Here is 2 of our first look pictures. The one I told you about walking up behind him and the one when he first saw me.

You two are so cute!  Thanks for sharing those.  I'll share mine as soon as I get them.  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_first-look-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:e3c86617-d4cb-42bd-8b63-0c05dcb23fc5Post:c4bb6343-f146-4394-8e7b-0ebfe0d79f77">Re: First Look Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are 2 of our first look photos.  We did the shoulder tap and it worked for us.  Although you can't tell from the photos our reactions really show on our video.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

True, I think that was part of the reason FI are having video done too...reactions show better in film a lot of times than one snap shot moment.  Thanks for sharing your photos with me, I appreciate it.
  • Thank you, all, ladies.  I think we are going to go with the idea that FI will be looking towards me as I walk towards him.  There is a great staircase where we are having our first-look but I'm too worried about tripping/looking down on the ground in all the shots if I go down the staircase.  :)
  • What is it with all the ladies being brought to the man?  Our venue has a grand staircase leading up to the main event room, with huge windows overlooking the outdoor ceremony space.  My plan is for me to wait by the windows at the top of the stairs (facing out) and have my fiancee approach me from behind.  I'm going to be the one wearing heels and a big dress, why should I do more of the walking?

I'm also in the my fiancee is over a foot taller than me club.  I had a helluva time finding heels that were both comfy and tall enough that I can kiss him relatively easily.
  • I guess it's kind of liker blindfolding him although not entirely, but I have seen cute ones where the bride comes up behind him and puts her hands over his eyes and then he turns around.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards