Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Name change

I'll be getting married soon, but i'm still undecided about the name changes. My fiance want me to drop my name and just take his, but i'm thinking of either using my last name as my middle name then add his or just hyphenate. Can someone tell me how they come to a decision.

Re: Name change

• He doesn't get to tell you what to do with your name. He especially can't tell you whether to drop your middle or maiden name when you're planning to take his name anyway.
  • This is a really personal decision that no one can make for you, not even your FI.  There are several options, so you just need to choose whatever YOU are the most comfortable with.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_name-change-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:e4fc45ac-ddd0-4fed-be62-0a2e250c1364Post:d89bd94b-fc9c-40b1-8e64-de89352c379e">Re: Name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]He doesn't get to tell you what to do with your name. He especially can't tell you whether to drop your middle or maiden name when you're planning to take his name anyway.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]

This. It's your name not his so it's your decision so he needs to lay off.

I didn't change my last name. My name reflects my heritage, H's name reflects his.  I'm proud of my ethnic background and all of professional documents are in my name and it would be a PITA to change it all.  It's also not 1950 anymore and I don't feel any less married having not taken H's name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My Fi told me to do whatever I wanted, which is good because it's my name and I wouldn't ask for permission for what to do with it. As of now, my plan is to add my maiden as a second middle and take his last. I don't want to entirely give up my last name, but I actually like his and like the idea of us having the same one. Only you can decide what you want to do!
    Lizzie
  • [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name change : This. It's your name not his so it's your decision so he needs to lay off.
    Posted by ElleB87[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto. My FI doesn't have an opinion on what I choose to do, and honestly if he did he wouldn't be my FI. </div><div>
    </div><div>I still haven't made up my mind, but I will either keep my name, or I will take his and have my maiden name be my middle name. I recently asked my mom why she kept her name, besides the professional reasons, she said she wasn't comfortable taking part in a tradition where the woman changes a part of herself but the man doesn't. That's how she sees it, and that's what's worked for her, though. It's ultimately up to you, not your FI.</div>
    Photobucket
  • FI and I decided that we will both be hyphenating our last names with mine first. Your FI cannot tell you what to do about your last name, it's a personal choice only you can make.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited January 2012
    Thank to all for ur opinions, guess it's something i'm gonna think abt some more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards