Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Changing Name Before Wedding?

I am a high school teacher getting married in October and starting at a new school in August. We have considered having my name changed legally before the wedding so that all of my new paperwork is in my married name, and that I would be referred to as one name, instead of going a couple months as Ms. Maiden Name, then trying to switch over to Mrs. Married Name. I know getting married this summer would have made logical sense, but the school change was not planned and October meant a lot to us. This probably seems silly, but I'm just wondering how professional women deal with name changes.
Wedding Countdown Ticker edited

Re: Changing Name Before Wedding?

• Options
    From what I understand it is a lot easier to change your name with a marriage license.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    If you are serious, you'll need to get started now.  It varies by state, but the legal name change process takes a couple of months pretty much anywhere.  You might not have time to get it done before school starts.  

If it's that big of a deal, I don't think it would matter if you used your new name early or waited until the end of the semester to change.  It takes a little while to get the paperwork and hassle done after the wedding, so your legal name very well may not be changed until December anyway.  

Honestly, though, if they're in high school, I think they can deal with a name change mid-semester.  Surely by that age they understand that some women change their names when they get married and have known people who've done it.  I mean, I was younger than that when I made the decision that I wouldn't change my name.
  • Options
    Honestly, changing your name after a marriage is not that difficult -- yes, there is paperwork, but most companies and employers deal with this ALL THE TIME.   It's not really a big deal.  And surely your students understand that some women change their names when they get married.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    You can ask the school to unofficially use your married name as soon as the school year starts (it would be on kids' schedules, progress reports, ect) and then have the legal stuff (insurance, paycheck, ect) done after the wedding. 

It sounds like you want to esablish yourself as a teacher with your students with your married name, since that's what you;ll be after your wedding.  I don't think there's any reason you can't just have them call you your married name now.  I was in this situation last year...I teach high school as well, and one of my special ed collagues knew a particular students was going to have me and the nature of his disability doesn't do well with change, so she wanted him to meet me beofre summer vacation so he wouldn't perseverate on who his new teachers would be all summer.  Although I wasn't married, I introduced myself to him as my married name since that would be what he saw on his class schedule.  It worked out well for him. 
  • Options
    I'm also a teacher.  Filling out your paperwork again is a little bit of a pain, but it's not a huge deal.  The easiest option will be to just introduce yourself to your students as Mrs Marriedname.  What your students call you and what is legal do not have to be the same.

• Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I think I will go my administration and see if they can just do schedules, etc. in my married name. Seems to be the easiest solution to the problem. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker edited
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    You do not have to have a legal name change to be referred to by another last name. 
  • Options
    Ditto PP. You'll need a court order to change your name befoe you get married.  Just introduce yourself to your students ar Mrs. New Last Name.  I got married in the middle of the school year and I answer to both, it's really no big deal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am in the same predicament. I am an 8th grade special ed. teacher getting married in November. I am not changing until after the wedding. Worse case scenario is that I get called by my maiden name...no biggie.
  • Options
    I'm sure its not a big deal.  A lot of people keep a professional name and another name outside of work.  Its only so the kids can call you "miss so and so" and then maybe your paycheque. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    I have been called Mrs. Gluck (my boyfriend's last name) by most of my co-worker since I got engaged.... on paperwork I have my last name... Giordanelli... so dont worry... they will get it very fast...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    I have almost 15 yrs of professional contacts and deal with almost 300 vendors a year (some repeats some new) I'm changing with the wedding but the main office has already changed me in their files.  much to my dismay when I was locked out of my email because they changed my login.  Bot lots of our friends started calling me "lady new last name" (they call my FI by last name) about 6 months before we were engaged. so it shouldn't be too big a deal at all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards