Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Who should I walk down the aisle with??

My Dad passed away when I was 8 yrs old so my mom raised us 3 kids on her own. I was thinking the most proper thing to do would be for my mom to give me away. But my uncle (my dads brother) mentioned that in mexican tradition if the father is not around for whatever reason the father figure rol is supposed to be assumed by the eldest brother (which he is). This gives me the feeling that he wants to give me away, which is truly very sweet of him, but I also dont want to leave my mom aside being that she did a great job raising us on her own. Any advice?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Who should I walk down the aisle with??

• Would you consider having them both walk you down the aisle, one on either side of you?
  • EC88EC88 member
    First Comment
    I think if you choose to have your uncle walk you down the aisle you should consider having your mom do something else in the ceremony. I wanted my mom involved so she is going to carry a flower down the isle for our version of a unity candle. I think it would be cute if they both walked you down the aisle together. 
  • Agree with PP's that having them both walk you would be a great idea. Or maybe have your mom walk you halfway and your uncle the other half, waiting halfway down the aisle? Or have as PP said a reading or something, some way to give your mom a huge shoutout for raising you since you were 8.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You may walk with who you wish regardless of tradition.  Of course it is nice to consider your family's feelings/opinon on the matter but ultimately you should be walked by the person you feel is right.
  • I would walk down with my mom. I feel raising 3 children on own is a big task. I think your mom deserves the honor. I'm not into traditions. Are you close with your uncle?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_who-should-i-walk-down-the-aisle-with?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f401b103-d795-4455-9217-f888a866d271Post:80916c46-ffb7-4072-b342-343ee81dfa24">Re:Who should I walk down the aisle with??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would walk down with my mom. I feel raising 3 children on own is a big task. I think your mom deserves the honor. I'm not into traditions. Are you close with your uncle?
    Posted by hmacsine[/QUOTE]

We are somewhat close, but like you mentioned I strongly believe my mom deserves the honor and shouldnt have to share something like that :)

Thanks everyone for your input :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    i vote for having both walk you if you're ok with that
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think you should walk with your mother because it seems you feel strongly. Run it by her and tell her how you feel. If she mentions this tradition and suggests your uncle, then you can explore maybe waking with both.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards