Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

thoughts on flower girl issue

hello,

I dont have a flower girl for my wedding. I do have a daughter who is 11 yrs old. She is playing the role of junior bridesmaid, the dress she is going to wear has pockets so, my question is do you think it would be ok to have her throw petals from out of the pockets? or would that just label her as a flower girl?

Re: thoughts on flower girl issue

• Options
    I think if she's throwing out petals, as a guest, I'd consider her a flower girl.  If she's okay with doing that, it should be fine, but I'd let her decide whether she will be a flower girl or a junior bridesmaid.  Kids in pre-teens sometimes feel overly childish if they have a role that they perceive as childish, but some kids at that age are totally okay with it too.  What if you have ALL of the BM's throw out some petals as they come down the aisle?  Then, the 11-yr-old won't necessarily look like a "flower girl" if she's not comfortable with that title.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    wow never thought of that, thats a great idea! Thanks
  • Options

A child thowing anything from her pockets will look like a tantrum.  She is too important to put in an awkward position.   Give her a beautiful bouquet and treat her with the importance she deserves.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_thoughts-flower-girl-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:f8c45361-6e34-4721-9cff-2c71764ce640Post:3e5b92f4-9acb-4310-857a-9b8359bf0217">Re: thoughts on flower girl issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]A child thowing anything from her pockets will look like a tantrum.  She is too important to put in an awkward position.   Give her a beautiful bouquet and treat her with the importance she deserves.
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]

I have to say I agree. As a guest, I would be very confused.
  • Options
    I agree that having anything throw from pockets would be tacky. If you want a flower girl give her a basket if not give her a bouquet like the rest of the girls.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_thoughts-flower-girl-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:f8c45361-6e34-4721-9cff-2c71764ce640Post:efda9a5b-7937-4dac-bcae-1ccbffe4350d">Re: thoughts on flower girl issue</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree that having anything throw from pockets would be tacky. If you want a flower girl give her a basket if not give her a bouquet like the rest of the girls.
    Posted by kristeno90[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Ask her what she wants to do. At 11, I'm sure she would appreciate being treated more like an adult by having a bouquet, but every one is different. Talk to her about what she wants.
  • Options
    I personally would stick with keeping her as a junior bridesmaid. I think that she would enjoy that more.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think pulling stuff out of her pockets and then throwing it would just be odd.  Make her a BM.  Leave out the "junior" part, unless you're calling all of the other BMs "Senior Bridesmaids".

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I have an awkward flower girl situation, too.  I just have to say that you are not forced to follow any old traditions, especially if they are not offensive to anybody.  If she wants to thorw petals, let her throw petals.  You don't HAVE to have a flower girl at your wedding at all.  If I were you, I would let her be a junior bridesmaid with a bouquet and list her in the program as a junior bridesmaid, unless she really wants to be a flower girl (which it seems like every girl wants to be a flower girl, so I can't imagine her being offended by that).  But, it's completely up to you, and don't feel pressure from people claiming anything will look "stupid."  It isn't anyone else's decision.  Good luck!
    May 2012 Nesties March Siggy Challenge: Furbabies imageimageAnniversary
  • Options
    I think that it might be confusing. But do what YOU want! It's YOUR wedding! If that is what makes you happy, then go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards