Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Which on top: engagement ring or wedding band?

I'm not familiar with the order in which I should be wearing my band and my engagement ring.  While walking up the aisle, do I wear my engagement ring and then have my fiance slip the band on top?  Or do I wear my engagement ring on my right hand and then after the ceremony put it on top of the band?
Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Which on top: engagement ring or wedding band?

• I believe you're supposed to wear the wedding band closest to your heart.

however, i'm wearing my engagement ring, and during the ceremony my FI (DH!) will put the wedding band on top.  Then after the ceremony, i'll switch them discreetly. 

hope that helps! :)
    snowbaby-1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_top-engagement-ring-wedding-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:fd83592d-ee02-4693-b646-227c777940f0Post:46e1f4bb-5c3d-4fac-877a-18181e6e25d9">Re: Which on top: engagement ring or wedding band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believe you're supposed to wear the wedding band closest to your heart. Posted by Jetskimouse_82[/QUOTE]

Exactly this.
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Some people wear the band on top of the engagement ring as a way of "protecting" the e-ring.  (I dont really get how it does, but whatever). 

And some people wear their wedding ring closest to their heart. 

It's totally up to you! 
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Band goes on first, then e-ring. But for walking down the isle, so he can put it on, I have heard of a lot of brides wearing their e-ring on their right hand and then afte the band is on, switching the e-ring. This is what I am going to do.
  • It's personal choice, really.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Ditto pp it's a personal choice, but what I see most is the wedding band first (on the bottom) and then the engagement ring. Which I always found funny considering the engagement ring comes first, but I actually think it looks better with the wedding band on the bottom. 
  • I'm wearing my engagement ring and then the wedding band and keeping them in that order, because I think it looks better that way.  And I love my engagement ring, so I'm not taking it off for the ceremony.  They both represent our love, so tradition be damned!  
  • The wedding band goes first then the e-ring. For the ceremony, I am wearing my e-ring on my right hand and then I will switch it over for pictures and ever after!
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • I'm Greek, and traditionally we are supposed to wear our wedding bands on our right hands.  So I will keep my e-ring on my left hand, and he will put the wedding band on my right hand and I will put his on his right hand.  We will most likely keep them that way for the evening, but I will switch it after the reception.  I think I'm going to wear the e-ring on the inside because it looks better that way with my rings!
    Jan 2011 January SC- Wedding Rings
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
    396 were invited image
    250 will be there!image
    146 are missing outimage
    0 are still thinkingimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • I haven't decided what I'm going to do during the actual ceremony, but after the fact I'm definitely wearing my wedding band on the bottom. It looks better, feels better, and from what people have already replied, it sounds like that's how it's supposed to be, traditionally. I can't decide about the ceremony, though. I was thinking about getting my rings soldered together before the wedding, because I hate the idea of sending them off right after I finally get to wear them both [and they both need to be resized, too] but my BM said that is absolutely not what you do, and that it has to wait until after the wedding... anyone else have an opinion on this?
  • well because my e-ring is not your typical shape whatever band i get has to either have a deep curve or be joined together. so i will have to be w/o my e-ring on the day until he puts it all on. I want to wear my e-ring as well for the seremony but if the setting has to be done before wedding day then so be it 

• I am not doing it the traditional way. I will wear my e-ring for the ceremony then he can slip on my wedding band. Just my preference and what looks best for my rings.
  • Yea this is something I never realized until I was engaged and reading posts/articles. I am wearing my engagement ring on my left hand like I always do and he can put the ring over it and I will switch it later. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not to hijak this post by any means, but what about people (IE me) who has an e-ring and then 2 wedding bands? One that slips on before the e-ring, followed by said e-ring, then another band? How the heck is this supposed to work out on my wedding day? lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Vacation
  • engagement ring on top, wedding ring on bottom. Remember the day of the wedding, if you are not already married, to move the engagement ring on another finger, so your fiance can easily put your wedding ring on.
  • Thanks for all your advice, ladies!  I'm going to wear my wedding band on the bottom!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards