Wedding Party
Options

BM dress help!!!!

I thought I was set on having my girls wear cocktail length dresses, but now I also like the long dress look too.  I'm having an early evening, outdoor wedding in late April in downtown St. Louis.  I have a modern, semi-formal wedding, but am not sure what is appropriate to have them wear or what to do. 

I need advice on what to do or recommendations, please! I'm very relaxed about all of this stuff, so I'm more concerned with what would be appropriate and if there are any "guidelines" I should know of.  I'm not from the area, but will be going to graduate school in the suburbs starting in the winter.

Re: BM dress help!!!!

• Options
    Because it's early evening, a long dress would be fine. But because it's outdoors, a shorter dress may be easier. The best people to ask would be your bridesmaids. Ask them what they prefer. You will likely find that shorter dresses are cheaper, and you need to be sure to keep their budgets in mind when looking at dresses.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I think at this point in time, either short or long is acceptable.  It comes down to preference at this point.  As a BM I always wished the bride chose short dresses.  Now, as the bride, I'm leaning towards long.   Whatever you want it to be is fine.  And BTW, I was in a July wedding in a long heavy DB satin gown.  It was hot, but we dealt with it.  Recently, my SIL had long satin gowns in an outdoor wedding.  It was nice.  We even went to the beach and took pics and played in the sand.  As long as you're happy with the look, it shouldn't matter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• Options

Determine your bridesmaids' budgets first. Secondly, decide what color you'd like. This will help you narrow down the short/long options.

I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding this weekend with short dresses and a wedding 3 weeks from now with long dresses. My own wedding 6 weeks ago was short dresses.

It really doesn't matter! Just pick something you like that your bridesmaids can reasonably afford.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I let my BMs pick their own dresses. I just told them the color and hemlength. Since my wedding is later in the year, and on the cusp of evening, we chose long dresses.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    either is fine, definitely take your BM's preference into account. Maybe you have a friend who hates her legs and would be uncomfortable with something knee-length or shorter (which is where most of the 'short' dresses fall) or maybe you have a really short friend who hates floor length gowns b/c they make her look shorter.  I picked a long gown b/c it was the group favorite and then told the girls to hem it wherever they were comfortable - 3 girls went right to (or just below) the knee and the other 2 made it more mid-calf / tea-length. They were all different heights anyway so it's not like the hems actually would have matched.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards