Texas-San Antonio

Ceremony and Reception Venues - Opinions Wanted :-)

Okay, so I really hope I am not double asking a question (I tried scrolling through old posts to ensure that was not happening), but I am curious as to everyones venue choices.  I think most of you are way ahead of me in planning -- since my wedding isn't until May 2011, and I thought I would just see places yall liked, didn't like, etc. in the San Antonio area.  Thanks!!

Re: Ceremony and Reception Venues - Opinions Wanted :-)

• edited December 2011
    Ceremony: Sacred Heart Conventual Chapel (Our Lady of the Lake University) Reception: Aggie Park I really, really wanted the reception to be at Pearl Stable, but it was already booked for our date.  I liked the AT&T Community Center at San Fernando Cathedral, but the lady in charge of rentals was difficult to get in touch with and she just wasn't super personable when I met her.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception at The Vineyards out towards New Braunfels.  So far, I've loved their customer service and they've been super helpful with any changes I've wanted to make.  We also really liked Riven Rock Ranch, The Pearl Brewery and Los Patios.Hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    I really wanted to have my reception at the Southwest School of Art and Craft. It's beautiful! You can have the ceremony there as well. They were booked already for my date but you probably have a great chance of getting it since you are planning so far in advance! They are incredibly popular! I ended up booking The Grand Promenade at Alamo Quarters. A private loft type space owned by Pat O'Brien's. My brother and sister-in-law got married last year at Los Encinos near Leon Springs. I've been to two weddings there and I think their food is actually some of the best wedding food I've tasted, nothing fancy but very good. They are one of the places that lets you provide your own alcohol which can really cut costs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Los Patios is really nice, I like the out doorsey feel of it. The botanical Gardens is really nice as well. We are having ours at the Omni La Mansion Del Rio and that is really nice as well the Packages are awesome and Erin is wonderful to work with and very helpful!
  • edited December 2011
    We have loved working with Spring Hill Event Center on 281. They have a good sized indoor venue, but then also an outdoor area that you can have a ceremony at and for a cocktail hour. They do their own catering, and they include everything-tables,chairs, linens, centerpieces. They may be a bit more $ then others, but its worth it to me to not have to stress about all the rentals.
  • jgilbergjgilberg member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ended up changing my date in order to book the Southwest School of Art and Craft. It is gorgeous and you get a lot of different options when you book there, since you can use any of the gardens and the chapel as part of the booking. Also, the rental is a sliding scale based upon the number of guests and it is reasonable.I also love the McNay (my second choice) and the Bushnell (where I had my engagement party and will have my rehearsal dinner).It really depends on what feeling you want in the space. I was very anti-hotel when I was choosing venues, but it means you have a lot more vendors and leg work.~Julie
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding ceremony and reception at the McNay.  I'm soooo excited about it.  It's breathtaking and perfect for us.
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree with Becca. SF ATT Cathedral Center is okayyy. It is $2700 and very nice...butttttt..yeah...Terri Collins was always hard to get a hold of. The rest of the staff was always easy to get a hold of and very nice. The only reason why we're having our reception there is because we're having the ceremony at the Cathedral and my FMIL wanted it there. My  first choice was The McNay. 2nd La Orilla Del Rio Ballroom. But whatever..not everything can be perfect. :/
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony and reception at Canyon Springs Golf Club. I like to describe it as rustic elegance. I'm getting married out on their 18th hole which is right in front of a waterfall. We're having our reception in their Pavilion, which is this big circular type room with lots of glass doors, wood beams, and gray stones. You can find some pics in my bio. So far I have looooved working with Brenda, the event coordinator. She's such a sweetheart, and has responded very quickly to all of my questions.As another little point, my mom actually just got a job working at Canyon Springs as one of the event servers. She's been able to see how their staff runs weddings and she said so far she's been super pleased with their service. She said all of the servers/staff are very professional and do a great job. Now she can't wait for me to get married there and show all of her co-workers her little girl, haha.The other place we were seriously considering was Marquardt Ranch. It's a really beautiful light stone colored building with a gorgeous stained glass window inside. They also have an outdoor ceremony area that overlooks a gorge thing. The main reasons we didn't pick it was because it was a little pricier than Canyon Springs, and it would've been at least an hour drive from my parent's house in NE SA, and obviously even longer for people in other areas of town. I thought that was asking a little much, and it will be a lot easier for me to plan at Canyon Springs since it's only about 5 min from my parent's house. HTH! Let me know if you have any questions about Canyon Springs.
  • novio2010novio2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception at the Club at Sonterra.  It is absolutely beautiful.  The site coordinator is fantastic too.  Spring Hill Event Center was our second choice.  It was just as beautiful and more affordable but took to long to respond initially.  All the other suggestions are fabulous as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony at St. Joseph's Catholic church downtown.  I had originally wanted San Fernando, but I didn't want to get married at 1pm [too early for most reception venues] or at 7 pm [which would cut down on reception time]. The church has a wonderful, intimate feel to it-although the wedding organizer is a bit odd. My reception will be at the Granada Ballroom-which is on the 14th floor of the Granada hotel [also downtown]. I'm having serious doubts about it because I haven't heard of anyone's personal wedding experiences-but it was a place my mother suggested and since they do the catering and table/linen set up for a reasonable price, I thought it would save me some stress. 
  • edited December 2011
    we are having our ceremony at the Mission San Jose and the reception right now the road at the Republic Golf Club. Both of these places have been super easy to work with. The Missions are beautiful and don't require much decoration at all. Chris from the Republic has been so helpful and very available for questions and several visits so far. Our wedding is in January and we had almost every place that we looked at open or our date. I also really like La Orilla Del Palacia (aka The International Center) but the weekend that our wedding falls on the river will be drained and that was one of the biggest appeals of this location. 163 days to go :o)
  • edited December 2011
    Wow!  Thanks to all of you!!!  Yall have been super helpful.  I looked up every place that was mentioned, I think!  Yay...now I can start taking tours!!!
  • edited December 2011
    we're getting married at sw school of art and craft.  we scheduled our wedding around this location's availability because we loved it so much.  we also liked guenther house and canyon springs is nice.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my ceremony outside at The Dominion Country Club.  I was a college golfer and wanted to incorporate something from my life.  Our reception is at my fiance's family owned dude ranch in Bandera, TX.  I loved The Dominion because they are nicely priced for ceremony (you can have reception there too)  They have an awesome locker room for getting ready and I love the scene for the wedding site. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my ceremony at Travis Park United Methodist Church and the reception at Fort Sam Golf Club. Both are nice places and with my budget in mind it just fit perfectly too.
  • edited December 2011
    My ceremony and reception was at The Convent. It is really cost effective because the rental fee is reasonable and they let you bring in anything you want. It is also a beautiful facility. I have pictures in my bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards