Wedding Party
Options

bridesmaids dresses?

Hey everyone! :)

Okay so... so far i have 9 bridesmaids in my wedding. mostly all family and like 4 friends. but i am having a issue. i mentioned to some that i want them to all look beautiful that day so i want them to look elegant in long dresses. our wedding is for sept 22 2012 and i have 3 bridesmaids who are more on the thick side, i am as well. not fat but thick. and well my thinner friends are complaining already that they dont want to have to wear something that is all covered because someone is thicker.
  for me that is disturbing. and upsets me. i am trying not to be a bridezilla, but i am also thinking of just going alone with my fiance or mom to pick out their brides maids dresses myself and they will just have to do.

or????
what do you all think? our appt is jan 20th so i need to think fast!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: bridesmaids dresses?

• Options
    ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    First, January is WAY too early to pick out dresses for a late September wedding.   Cancel the appointment and start thinking about it when you're no more than 6 months from the wedding. 

Second, did you tell your friends that the reason you're having long dresses is because of your "thick" friends?  If so, you really shouldn't have, and if not, they're being douches.  If you want long dresses because of the overall look you're going for, then just tell them that and ask the complainers not to speak badly of your other friends, especially since they have nothing to do with your length choice. 

Honestly, with that many bridesmaids, and with the various body types of the ladies in the party, you'd probably be best off giving them guidelines and letting them each pick their own dress - for example, floorlength x color dress at David's Bridal.  Then each woman can find something that fits her budget and is comfortable and flattering for her.  

• Options
    Speaking as a bride who is fat (not thick, fat,) a flattering dress has less to do with how much it covers than with a complementary shape.  If you want dresses that are long for the sake of your wedding style, tell them so.  It's not bridezilla to put your foot down on that.  But do it because, as you said, it's elegant, not to hide thick bridesmaids.

That said, finding a single dress whose shape flatters everyone when you have nine bridesmaids of different shapes and sizes may be difficult.  Have you considered giving your girls some flexibility of choice?  Instead of making everyone wear the same dress, let them pick from three dresses that fit your theme, or designate a few characteristics (like length, color, and/or fabric,) but let them each pick their own style.

It's the best of both worlds - you get a coordinated wedding party, and they can all choose dresses that fit their budget, comfort zone, their unique curves, and all of you have less stress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes! your right! picking three dress choices sounds fine to me. well the reason i was making an early appt was because of the picky-ness.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards