Wedding Party
Options

black bridesmaid dresses?

I"m having a June wedding and my colors are hot pink, black and white with some damask accents.  I'm having my nridesmaid's in a halter dress and they are hard to find.  I found one that I really like but the hot pink isn't a true hot pink.  It's more of a raspberry color.  Do I go with the raspberry pink and center everything around that color pink or are black bridesmaid dresses ok to use and not too "funerally"?  HELP!

Re: black bridesmaid dresses?

• Options
    Black BM dresses are fine, and very popular.  A short black dress is something that your BM may actually wear again, espeially if you have them pick their own.  (And they don't have to be BM specific, they can get dresses at a department store and save some $$).  If you think they are too dark, you can give them sashes in the hot pink to tie them all together.  You could also do a wrap or a pashmina, or even brightly colored shoes.
  • Options
    I totally agree with pp - good thing about black, your other colors will "pop" right off of the dress.  If CMs carry hot pink flowers, they're going to look super-spectacular against the black!I also say this because I was looking for a sunset orange dress for MOH...cannot find the right color.  So we're going with chocolate and now I am very happy with that...her flowers are going to look great and we might add a touch of color to her straps and it gives me some ideas for her bridal jewelry gifts as well!PSI wore a black bridesmaid dress in MOH wedding...LOVED IT!  I still have it got a bunch of compliments!
  • Options
    Black BM dresses are pretty popular and acceptable these days. Black is classy and formal (think about the little black dress that every woman is supposed to own). Also, there is a better chance that your BMs will wear a black BM dress again. Black also tends to be flattering for most women.
  • Options
    Black BM dresses are acceptable. ( NMS)  
  • Options
    Black is fine, but if you want the pink go for it.  Have you seen black and white print dresses?  There have been some cute ones out lately and there is a store "the black and white store" (I think) the name describes what's inside.  I picture this black and white print dress (large hibiscus flowers or something) with a hot pink sash/belt - I think it would look adorable, but that is me :)
  • Options
    I plan to use black BM dresses, but will likely add a green sash for a bit of color (and/or a green pashmina). So black is fine. Or use the raspberry color you like and either change other things ... or keep the hot pink decor and use "shades of pink" as your decor theme. Smilz, can you please un-center your signature line? Use the </center> command to close the center tag.
  • Options
    i'm actually having my girls wear a long black strapless dress for a late summer/early fall wedding. i see it as simple, and elegant, so there is absolutly nothing wrong with wearing a black dress. =)
  • Options
    my wedding is in august and my girls are wearing black dresses. (bari jay style 760 in all black). my colors are hot pink and orange, so i chose black dresses so that the flowers will pop against them. =) and all my girls LOVE The dresses and are SO glad they don't have to wear hot pink. (they were all a little worried when I told them my color scheme). The only person that thinks it will look funeral-ish is FMIL, but oh well. =)
  • Options
    I am a HUGE fan of an all black wedding party. It screams elegance and class, plus years down the road when you are looking back at your photos your style will look timeless. They are definitely not "funerally" Plus a black bridesmaid dress is truly a dress that they can wear again. I came across this link today... http://www.runwayrundown.com/bridesmaids-in-black They also have looks for other bridesmaid dresses in Purple and yellow. Great find! Good Luck deciding!
  • Options
    I am getting married this September and my girls are wearing black knee length dresses and I am adding a teal sash to each one that they can throw away later if they wish.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    im having black bridesmaid dresses and im getting married in july. i dont think its too "funerally" at all! and you can always brighten them up with some bright pink bouquets!
  • Options
    My colors are essentially the same - black, white, and pink. My BMs will wear short black dresses, and I may make pink sashes to wrap around them, but that they could take off later and just have the LBD to wear again. I'm also having a spring wedding - May - so personally I think it's totally fine.
  • Options
    I was a bridesmaid in a June wedding and our dresses were white halters with a hot pink bottom.  They came from www.jordanfashions.com. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm obviously in the minority. I really like the idea of black bridesmaid dresses -- especially cocktail length so they can wear them again. I just don't think I like black for the spring and summer months. Not too funeral-like, just not the color you would expect to see in those months in my opinion. I think the raspberry is close enough to the hot pink. I'd start designing with two shades of pink, black and damask.
  • Options
    My wedding was July 18th and my colours were black and hot pink with silver and white accents. My girls wore black knee length dresses and carried pink gerbera daisies. I had originally planned to add a pink sash, but that didn't work with the dresses (which I go from Sears for $ 30 each) so we added a pink camisole underneath. They absolutely popped! The groomsmen wore black pants and shirts with pink ties. I received a ton of compliments about how nice they all looked. IF you go with the raspberry dresses, I would use white flowers. I found out how hard it is to match pinks. Good luck!
    Head over high heels in love.
  • Options
    SJ&GMSJ&GM member
    First Comment
    Hi Morris, I think you should have what you like.  I did see hot pink halter dresses at alfred angelo.Good luck!
  • Options
    I think black dresses are wonderful - especially if you let the girls find their own black dress!  It would be a way to have them look the same, but they will get a dress they love.  Also, you could let them find any color pink shoes and accessories!
  • Options
    I'll be the bad guy on here. I was a bridesmaid in a summer wedding and was not a fan of wearing black at all. The dresses were pretty and had a very interesting shape but would have popped more in a different color. I think it's weird to see such dark colors in a summer event. People aren't going to notice if they BM dresses aren't the exact shade of hot pink that you want. They'll get the idea that it all goes together.
  • Options
    Black BM dresses are fine! Not sure where you are from, but check Davids Bridal b/cause they have soooo many colors to chose from. You may find something there. Also, with a black dress, the flower bouquets can really pop with hot pink flowers! It would be really PRETTY! Good luck and don't stress!
  • Options
    gcs25gcs25 member
    First Comment
    Black dresses are ok. But if you want to do pink, do it. Look around more to find the right shade. I like David's Bridal's watermelon. I've seen so many black dress bridesmaid weddings. This is your one chance to do this, so don't be afraid of doing something that really pops and is fun and summery for your June wedding.
  • Options
    I think that PINK dresses would pop so much more in your pictures!  I had the same problem finding dresses that were unique, but still very stylish and in a color I loved- I did eventually find them- my gals are wearing Jenny Yoo- I looked on her website and found some dresses that come in colors that you might like  And i just realized that you can't post pictures on here- I created this Post- follow the link to see if they're something you might like! :) Her dresses are great! And they're in very high quality fabrics that aren't like cheapy bridesmaid dresses http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/post-for-morris-2010-upgrading-you-from-the-knot-to-weddingbee?replies=1
  • Options
    Having the same exact problem. Some of my girls didn't mind, but my sister and my mom didn't like the idea, so I decided to let the girls pick black or pink ( I am doing a dusty rose pink though b/c the hot pink was too much for me) My mom still doesn't like that fact that some will be wearing black, but I told her that it was my wedding and if the girls didn't like it they could wear the rose color. I am being really flexible with my BM dresses b/c I know its hard. SO they can pick their style, black or rose pink or any combo of the two. I just want them to be comfortable.
  • Options
    i am using the same color scheme as you and i think the black dresses will look great. my bridesmaids didnt like the idea of wearing all pink dresses so we found floorlength black dresses from foreveryousbridal. we're using style #78114 in black with hot pink sashes. they will have pink and white gerbera daisy bouquets.
  • Options
    My date is in May and my girls are wearing black dresses. They will choose from a collection that is all the same fabric, but they get to pick which style they'll wear (each different if they want). I decided against sashes, but thought about a sheer scarf in one or all of our colors. The only color we're having is in the flowers (all daisies) - hot pink, bright orange, bright yellow, light pink, and white. I know they will pop against the black dresses & tuxes. If you're concerned about the formal look of a black & white wedding (like I was), try to lighten things up in your invitations & programs, place cards, table numbers(fun font and/or design for all) and your general reception decor. Just have fun with it and whatever you choose will be great!
  • Options
    Like PP have said, black dresses would make the flowers pop more. Picture black dresses with bright pink bouquets, so cute!! Dress up plain black dresses w/a pink sash, cute shoes & jewelry & I think your girls will lok great! HTH :)
  • Options
    OK everyone...I have a really silly question. How are you getting your time ticker to show up on your posts? I can't find that option anywhere!! Thanks!
  • Options
    I figured it out!
  • Options
    I was worried about the black dresses as well but as soon as all of my bridesmaids tried on the black dress they all looked so classy. We all agreed on it and said who cares what other people think. Believe me they look so classy and elegant that people won't even realize the color. I am also having them hold bright pink flowers. Whatever color you like, go with that. It is your wedding day if you love the dress in a certain color (and hopefully so do your BM) then go with that. I surely did and everyone is soo happy with it! Good luck planning!
    176imageInvited; 118imageYes!; 58imagehave other plans;
  • Options
    dojo1dojo1 member
    First Comment
    Remember that not everything you will have at the wedding will be bang-on in terms of shade.  In fact, it can be quite striking to have a minimal range of shades of one colour (think three blocks of colour together on a paint-colour strip) with consistency in your other colours (i.e. it will be way easier to find "true" blacks and whites than "true" hot pink).Good luck!
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MrsK09MrsK09 member
    First Comment
    I think black dresses with some type of pink accent would be cute!  If you really want hot pink halters, my cousin just got married a couple of weeks ago and she had her girls in hot pink halters from David's Bridal, the color name was watermelon.  I think you can even add peek-a-boo skirts in a different color if you like!  HTH
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards